Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
tammequinn
Community Novice

This is a serious game changer for me! The ability to give extensive feedback in a shorter period of time is significant for student learning. Thank you!

thomas_mitchell
Community Novice

I agree that this should be a feature for grading discussions and doc viewer.

For discussions, I need to be able to pinpoint my comments. 

As many of us have, I have quite a bit grading (this semester I have 95 students, posting 3-4 discussion/assignments per week and I don't have a TA or GA) where some 40% of the comments are repetitious.

However, I can't help to wonder that if the idea it was originally posted in 2012 (if I read that correctly)  reopened/re-created in 2015 (this post), and yesterday I submitted a new posting (I didn't find this posting prior, my apologies) give me pause as to what is taking so long.

thomas_mitchell
Community Novice

I'd like to suggest that the annotation comment box stay open until you navigate to the next annotation.

When using speedgrader to grade a document using annotation, once you move the mouse away from "Leave a Comment box" it automatically closes. The current configuration defeats the use of an independent clipboard manager.

In the past (last year?) I simply opened the annotation comment box, navigated to my clipboard manager clicked a selection and it was inserted into the comment box.

Today I select an annotation, (placeholder), start a comment, go to my clipboard manager, copy, go back to the placeholder, reopen the comment box, then paste.

Reasoning when grading some comments are redundant, for example 

Unfortunately, your reference (s) are incorrect or incomplete. References should have author last, first initial, (date). Article Title, Site Name and Retrieved from http..... please check out:  Owl at Purdue APA  https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/1/ for more details

I felt that you could have contributed more to the discussion and provided some examples 

I felt that you could have elaborated with citations (and references) in developing your argument. 

Thank you, a well thought out contribution to the main discussion and value-added response to a peer. 

Which platform or Operating System (Microsoft or Apple, Linux)? Which browser Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Explorer (and which release level), for example, Win 7 64 bit Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit). Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit systems? If Microsoft office which version 2013 or 2016/365.

slg310
Community Novice

Yes! This would make grading the hundreds of papers where students make the same or similar mistakes SO much more efficient. Also, if it could come with some kind of analytics where you can see which marks you use the most in which classes, which assignments, etc, then you could gain a powerful tool to see what you need to focus on more in class instruction time.

dtheriault
Community Contributor

Until people start leaving Canvas there is no incentive for them to address these concerns. Right now they are probably still trying to address the concerns of those districts and states who haven't adopted Canvas yet and making sure those features are addressed, before they help current paying users who might be reluctant to start over. 

@clonghb ‌

escarbro
Community Novice

This is the ONLY reason I am not grading in SPEED GRADER - I love being able to save comment sets in TURNITIN (I save a comment set per class and per assignment) so I don't have to write the same thing over and over. If SPEED GRADER added this function, I would be 100% CANVAS. 

james_brown1
Community Member

We really need to be able to reuse comments.  We used to have this feature in another program and it saves so much time.

mary_kleckner
Community Explorer

^^What Elizabeth Scarbrough said^^

Turnitin has had this feature for more than a decade. It's called QuickMarks. The instructor has a library, and they can create multiple individual QuickMark sets within that library for each assignment, or any other theme (organization, development, argumentation, etc.). Turnitin also provides comment banks (mechanics, grammar, usage, etc.). You can switch from one set to another seamlessly as you grade. Of course you can also add free-written comments.

I'm astonished there are "down" votes on this feature. I'm also surprised every LMS platform on the market doesn't already have this feature. It seems like a no-brainer. Copying and pasting or writing the same comment on multiple assignments is cumbersome, not speedy. My comment sets are tied to my rubric metrics, which are connected to my course outcomes. Clearly mapping feedback to course outcomes without comment storage capability is also more cumbersome for instructors. 

efudge
Community Participant

Might I add when this feature is developed, having quick comments added within discussion boards would be fantastic as well.

momo_3077
Community Novice

Good evening Hi I from Monterrey Mexico and I want to learn, so how can use the canvas page