Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
susie_tattersha
Community Novice

So tired of repeating the same comments on on responses that all the kids get wrong.

L_Knight
Community Participant

I'm using Annotate Pro to save comments. It runs as an add-on in Chrome and plays well with Canvas. They also have a product that runs in Word. HUGE time saver! Transform writing skills with faster feedback and deliberate practice | 11trees 

305756_pastedImage_1.png

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I am also using Annotate Pro.  I started using it for grading and have expanded to use it for storing discussion follow-up posts and announcements.  Any place in Canvas where there is a rich text editor, I can pull in comments stored and categorized in Annotate Pro.  I can then edit them to better fit the specific context or tailor them in any way, but it does allow me to store enhanced explanations and information that I like to provide students "just in time" in response to a post or as an announcement. I am a major believer in Annotate Pro.

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

Still very interested in this concept! Huge interest on Univ of Wisconsin-Madison campus.

Would be a great way to establish a standard language for multiple TAs grading assignments for large-enrollment courses.

Please, keep pressing this issue forward.

ablackman
Community Explorer

Thanks for sharing, Laura. Annotate Pro looks like a good stop-gap method. I agree with  @cliff_cunningha ‌, though that the ability to embed standard language directly into the Canvas Speedgrader is the ideal. 

Is there anything else we all can do to keep this request visible?

hdaniels517
Community Novice

If Speedgrader were like Turnitin.com- with the ability to use and create new comments, I would use Speedgrader much more often.

amcc
Community Member

Frankly Ann, I don't know what else we can do. This idea dates all the way back to August 2012 and is currently the 6th most popular (net votes) feature idea across all idea stages. Yet there's no sign of any movement on Instructure's part. Annotate Pro appears to be a good workaround, but this situation doesn't reflect well on Instructure. Campuses invest considerable resources in Canvas, yet individual faculty are supposed to buy their own add-on in order to have this important and widely sought functionality? That's not acceptable IMO.

amy_sparks
Community Novice

The idea of being able to pull frequently used comments into documents would be a great addition to the Canvas features.  I teach English I and almost every assignment requires students to write a contstructed response.  Most all responses require direct textual evidence.  This helps use support our literature standard 9-10.1.  The comment I write the most is "you need direct textual evidence."  The addition of this feature would save lots of time in grading and would allow students to get their feedback in a more timely manner.  

jh_918
Community Novice

Our faculty have requested this a few times. It would definitely make the platform more user friendly and would help them provide feedback efficiently. Some seem to be accustomed to this functionality from working in other LMSs and potentially perceive this as a downside to Canvas.

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

I wish they would just give us what we want and not make us vote on improvements. I never look at this voting stuff and I am pretty sure I support most suggestions that make canvas easier to use.