Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
dvander
Community Member

As someone who struggles with the amount of grading I have to do, this feature would make my life so much better. Please, please add it!

mnuar
Community Explorer

There are a number of comments that one finds oneself typing over and over again.  It would be helpful if we could have some kind of comment bank that teacher could create of comments they frequently use that is accessible in all annotation settings whether using text, block, pointer, etc.   This way you drag from  the comment bank to the section that needs the comment and the docviewer will then enter it with the type of annotation that has been in use.

Mr-Robertson
Community Explorer

Yes, please.

LM25
Community Member

Allow teachers to pre-write some comments/feedback templates for students. That way if students submit work that requires similar feedback (they both missed the same questions or did great on the same areas), then the teacher can just click a drop-down to the pre-written feedback template (and then adjust it as necessary for each student). That way they don't have to retype similar feedback every time. The teachers will be saving time and be able to give more descriptive feedback to each student (because it'll be faster to give detailed feedback that is personal to each student's work). 

abrasley
Community Member

Please do this.  Right now Canvas gradebook and Speedgrader are not nearly as functional as they could be, and I may just stop using them.

abrasley
Community Member

I realize that at this point, many of these comments seem rather pointless, but if possible, could we also streamline the process for suggesting features? Thinking more of a reddit style upvoting to result in a faster process?

ny2
Community Explorer

The need for a comment bank still exists in 2021, just like it did back in 2015 when this thread started. I"ll have to go back to using Google Classroom because it does have a comment bank feature!!

danaleeling
Community Participant

If I read correctly that this request originally occurred in 2012, before the 2015 comments, then the tenth anniversary of this request is coming up next year. As noted above this is a feature now found in Google Assignments - both in Google Classroom and in Google Assignments when accessed from Canvas via Google LTI 1.3. I do not see a way to upvote this request except to comment. I do wish Khoros had more the capabilities of Discourse in handling feature requests with community voting capabilities.

mcalhounbsd
Community Member

Agree!

carolynmckenzie
Community Novice

Yes Please!!