Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
KELLYEVANS
Community Member

I agree. I would like to have a bank of premade videos which give comments/suggestions for common errors students make and how to fix them. 

jddevlin
Community Explorer

This is a great addition for us, but we'd also like to be able to add comments from the comment library directly as in-text annotations via Docviewer.

I also see many of our teachers wanting to share (say via an export/import tool) or the 'Copy to' feature a particular comment library. To that end, a way to categorise a series of comments either for one course or another would be useful.

A_K_Dekker
Community Participant

I find it quite annoying that the 2021-06-19 release is being proposed as a fix for this issue while it blatantly ignores most of the proposed solution. All the comments in this idea conversation clearly suggest being able to reuse comments in the docviewer. The release is therefore absolutely not a solution for this idea that has been proposed 9(!) years ago!

lhughes
Community Participant

I am happy to see the SpeedGrader comment feature has been added.  That's a great start to solving the "paper comments problem."  But I agree with A_K_Dekker that we also need this comment library to be added to the DocViewer.  Grading papers is labor-intensive.  Having repeat feedback comments easily available in the DocViewer would lessen that labor.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

To improve the newly deployed reusable comment feature I'd like to suggest inclusion of a comment topic or folder system.  To illustrate, I currently use a tool called Typeitin and this enables me to group comments by topic.  Below are my comment groupings - 

• APA essay - 60 comments 
  • Discussions - 40 comments
  • Specific assignments - 4 other comment groups each with about 20 comments per group

And enabling use within the DocViewer at some future time would be splendid as well.

ctr_amachsonca
Community Explorer

This would be appreciated by the faculty I work with

dcamilleri
Community Novice

@Stef_retired I can see that saving comments has been added. these comments can only be used in the summative comment box it seems. the auto suggestion is handy. is this correct? 

Can I use auto saved comments for in-text comments like annotate pro? this is the function that makes marking faster. while the new feature is useful it doesn't really resolve the issue discussed previously. I will still need a sperate document with in-text comments. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, @dcamilleri , we mention this in the idea description:

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-11-20) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed