Ability to Set Default Due Time at Course Level

(31)

Here is a suggestion from a teacher:

Provide a way to set a default time for assignments to be due for a specific class.

49 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Here's a related feature request: 

RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted!  If this moves to Gathering Info, then I want to suggest researching whether default due times should be managed per section.  At many institutions, sections will have a standard meeting time, but courses may encompass multiple sections.

christopher_chu
Community Novice

Our school (secondary) has a rotating block schedule, so the same class meets at different times on different days.

I'd love the ability to create "in-class" as a course-wide, default due-time.

shannon_larrea
Community Novice

We would love this feature​!  Depending on the level of school you teach at, i.e. High school, college, etc, the need for this feature changes drastically.

ngee
Community Novice

This would be so logical.  Right now, our teachers just advise our students that even though it says 11:59 PM, the assignment is actually due at the beginning of class.  We have a rotating schedule, so classes meet at different times.  It's a real chore to figure out the tight time.  I would change my default to 8AM.  That would communicate to students that the assignment is homework and they must have it done before coming to school...logical.

shauna_vorkink
Community Contributor

I recently trained a school that asked about this feature as well.  The use case they presented was with Soft and Hard Due dates.  All Due Dates are soft in the way their classes run.  The Available Until/Hard Date is the Last Day of class and everything can be turned in up until that point in time.  The ability to set a default for this field would save them from having to adjust every time they create graded content! ~Shauna

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

137212_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has resurfaced here:

petern
Community Contributor

This is a really good idea.  Perhaps it would be better if no time was displayed at all.  Then it would just be due on a certain day which is far more in line with what schools do.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

This would really be helpful.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

straussi
Community Champion

Interesting to read about class times changing the due time; for us, this would have to be subject to the student and instructor individually set time zones.

warons
Community Member

YES YES YES!! "In class" would be so much better than a specific time!!

warons
Community Member

I REALLY hope this idea gets integrated - I spend far too much time changing the default due date "time" on each assignment - I'd rather have no time at all than what is currently the default (11:59 pm? who chose that??). If a default time has to be set by the program, it should be "in class". But best of all would be no time at all, with the option to set a default at the class level if a teacher needs it (say, for an online submission).

don_bryn
Community Champion

Again, I hope this voting system allows for the developers to see that there are two similar ideas in voting at the same time.   These two ideas will hopefully be merged into one feature that addresses all of the discussion in both ideas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
don_bryn
Community Champion

Hi Stefanie.  I need to get in the habit of linking to the other ideas every time, but sometimes when working on my iPad I get lazy because it takes like 1/2 a second longer to move between open browser windows!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I can relate,  @don_bryn ‌; hey, we're just happy with what you're already doing to help us keep our ideas organized! 

tamara_molina
Community Novice

Yes.