[Syllabus] Add Syllabus Page History

We would really like to see the Syllabus page have page history so that instructors who spend hours on it, and then delete it accidentally, can get it back.  Other pages/modules have this feature, but not this page.

Here is text from our most recent support ticket on this:

I simply copied a table and added it to the end of the syllabus at the end of 'attendance' and clicked update.

I'm then taken back to the course main page, and the syllabus is gone. Is it possible to restore the course from an earlier period? This is a major problem and I suspect it may be a technical issue. I'd be the first to admit I screwed up, but it was a simple edit.

We have to explain to this stressed out instructor or admin (and many others before her) that all the time she spent with HTML and CSS making this the best syllabus ever is now a loss. No way to get it back.

Added to Theme

Save Admins Time and Clicks Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
hechla
Community Participant

+1 for Syllabus History

Simply said, this is very much needed. Especially for courses with multiple people that have permission to edit the course content. 

abbotc
Community Member

+1 for Syllabus History - Since we have multiple instructors at times co-teaching a course, it would be extremely beneficial to have Syllabus History, that way if someone changes anything in the syllabus, the person who made the change could be identified.

cfleming
Community Explorer

#upvote, +1. Has been a flaw for years. Equally common is multiple simultaneous editors overwriting each others work. Adding history could, in theory, ameliorate the damage and time lost when that occurs as well. 

JeremyGuillette
Community Member

+1, Currently dealing with this issue with a faculty member who's missing her syllabus, and since the old version isn't in the beta instance, I'm out of options that I can do myself, and hoping Canvas support can do more.

milesl
Community Contributor

I also just helped an instructor recover a deleted syllabus from beta, but it shouldn't have to be this hard.

AnnieRota
Community Member

Another +1. 

robert_mandell
Community Participant

Would be immensely helpful!

scheuner
Community Member

A page history is an essential feature for collaborative editing because accidental overwrites are common.

Use case: different people advertise thesis topics on the syllabus page.

A00364575
Community Participant

I would take the Canvas product manager to a nice lunch for this feature. It would be such a lifesaver sometimes.

tslee
Community Participant

+1 vote for this too.