Add back in the COURSE and LOCAL time view in Settings

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Before the recent update you were able to see BOTH the COURSE and LOCAL time in course setting when setting up a course for a different time zone. 

This was taken out with the new update and I'm not sure why. It was a very nice feature to check and make sure that course start and end times, and assignment due dates were set up propely when working with two differing time zones.

Why was this taken out? It is very inconvient.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KailynneBelt 

Are you a teacher setting up a new course? If so, would you provide a screenshot of the location within the course where you were seeing course and local time and can no longer do so?

Thanks.

KailynneBelt
Community Member
I am admin setting up a new course yes. 

Below is a screenshot of the course I created this past winter with all private info blocked out. Canvas support has relayed to me that it was removed in the new update for some reason- as was making TERM default in the course dates options without any option of changing this.

We are also finding this a new inconvenience (as it is just an extra couple of clicks but unnecessary ones) as we end up putting in unique course dates for the course, submitting the copy request and then having it overridden by the TERM dates default that we have to deselect and select the course dates we already entered. Again, not a huge deal but an inconvience that we cannot select our own default date settings for course creation.Canvas Screenshot.jpg

RobDitto
Community Champion

Thanks @KailynneBelt, I'm seeing the same thing on our Canvas instance and wish I had realized this in time to ask about it during the beta for Course Settings: Course Availability Date Enhancements (2021-03-20 Canvas Release).  It would be nice to have this restored for the same reasons you articulated.

Even with that change, it's still possible to see Local/Course times on a due date in the other previously available way mentioned here (as well as a tooltip shown when hovering over a due date with mouse pointer):

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KailynneBelt
Community Member

Thanks Rob. 

Having that extra double check on my timezone math upon creation is very helpful for us as a quick double check to ensure we have set everythign up properly for our students. I haven't found a hover option for the course start and end times check but I believe the student would see the times in their local/course end time.

ErinKordelewski
Community Member

I like to see the times and dates in CST even though I’m in EST. Because of the time change the app tell me my assignments are due the day after they really are and it gets confusing. There is no option to change it back on the app. It looks right in canvas on the website however which has saved me from making mistakes.

rseilham
Community Champion

@ErinKordelewski,

The Canvas apps follow the timezone on your device and ignore the time zone setting within the Canvas settings for your account. 

ErinKordelewski
Community Member

Yes I realize this, that is what upsets me, I want to know the correct date, as it is it tells me all my assignments are due the next day. Took me a whole to figure that out until I realized it told me everything was due at 1-2am. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-04-27)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New