Assignments Allow Default View 'Show as...' to be set at course level

0 Likes
(1)

Hi,

We use tutor groups in a fair few of our courses and would like to have an option to set the default 'Show as...' view. 

The reason for this request is the Assignment Group Title is a good way of indicating to students which Assignments belong to what Tutor Group, which helps with group organisation in the course. The Standard default view causes confusion when students initially encounter this page. 

(I say default but the default is stored in browser cache: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/quot-Show-by-Type-quot-Assignment/td-p/194565

Show by date:

prettey_2-1624017341708.png

Show by Type:

prettey_1-1624017278346.png

Clearly one view is better than then other when it comes to displaying information on the assignment page.

Can we please have an option to set a default view at course level

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@prettey  Thanks for sharing this idea! For context, the "Show as..." functionality for students is detailed in  How do I filter assignments by type as a student?

daan_haeyen
Community Novice

Hi, I would also like to request this feature as an option for the course designer to be set.

lien_sas
Community Explorer

Yes please! We would even prefer to be able to set assignments "show per type" as the default setting on (sub)account level. 

Harples
Community Novice

I agree, this would be extremely useful. 

MarkS2
Community Explorer

Yes, the default view for my students (show by date) is extremely confusing. I have had to let students know "show by type" is an option. Even worse, I wasn't even aware that students don't see that view by default. It's MY default view (only view, in fact) as an instructor, but students need to toggle the "show by type/date", which they do not tend to do. I work with second language students, which makes the issue even more challenging.

I would like to disable "show by date" as an option for viewing the Assignments page.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.