Calendar Events - Big Blue Button - button and enable recording

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hi,

Please add this

enable recordingenable recording

To the event inside the calendar, it will mean tutors do not forget to click it.

calendar event (BBB)calendar event (BBB)

Thank you

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Hi,

I’m Fred Dixon, product manager for BigBlueButton.  While I work at Blindside Networks and can’t speak on behalf of Instructure, I can help with exploring this idea further.

Currently, when adding a BigBlueButton conference within a course, you will see the various options to customize the conference (such as enabling/disabling recording).

However, when adding the conference within a calendar, these options are not visible.  Here, I'm adding the calendar event to Physics 101.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 8.36.21 AM.png

In other words, when adding BigBlueButton via the calendar, the conference does not appear within the list of available conferences in the BigBlueButton tab, so there is no way to modify it's properties (such as enable recording).

Ideally, a conference added to the calender will also appear in the corresponding course.  A few points to explore

1. How to handle a conference that is added to multiple courses (as is possible in the calendar)

2. How to show some of the initial settings (such as recording enabled/disabled) within the calendar user interface

3. Explore the option of adding to the calendar within a conference, which triggers the loading of the Calendar page and links the entry to the specific course.

For your use case,

- do you need the BigBlueButton session added to a calendar to span multiple course, all courses, or a single course?

- where do you need the recordings to appear after the session is over?

Regards,... Fred

nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team

@prettey This idea is still in the moderation queue and we wanted to make sure you saw the reply from @ffdixon which brings up some good points and questions. If this is still something you'd like to explore as a feature idea in Canvas, please respond here so we can move this idea conversation forward. If we don't hear from you in the next couple of weeks, we'll move this idea to our ideas archive.

prettey
Community Participant

Hi Fred,

I think option 3 is a better way of handling this:

3. Explore the option of adding to the calendar within a conference, which triggers the loading of the Calendar page and links the entry to the specific course.

Keeping the setup of a conference event inside the Big Blue Button tool has a number of benefits. 

No mistakes over calendar selection (the user is inside the course)

The interface makes more sense and all the selections in that tool are related to the creating to the conference. For example selecting students, descriptions, etc

Once the conference is created it then pushes that information to the course calendar.

Option 3 makes logical sense.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

While the original proposal doesn't quite match the release, the Product Team identified this Idea as a match for the updated interface based on the conversation that occurred in the threaded comments.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-10-15)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-10-15)

ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Yay!

Regards,.. Fred Dixon

BigBlueButton Product Manager

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team