Canvas for Elementary: Turn OFF the announcement display on the homepage

0 Likes

My students are waaaaay too young to understand that they need to scroll and scroll and scroll down below two whole weeks of announcements to find their class buttons, ESPECIALLY when the announcements are going to change every few days. I had MASS CONFUSION of 4 year olds today because I had one announcement up and they had no idea what was happening. I don't need announcements to show on my homepage - it clutters up an otherwise clean page. Please allow me to turn them OFF on the elementary template. If anything, I want a separate button for announcements, please. THANKS!!

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@ddolanch 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've edited the title and description so that our members and teams know that it is specific to Canvas for Elementary and have moved it forward for broader discussion.

In the meantime, we took a look at your course and suggest placing the information (which is indeed a very long scroll!) as Important Info in the Resources tab of the homeroom or subject rather than as an announcement:  How do I add Important Info in the Resources tab a...  The home page is designed to display one announcement, which will be deleted after two weeks unless a new announcement is posted, and that will replace the previous announcement. Important Info will persist in the Resources tab for the duration of the course.

CourtCassar
Community Explorer

You can edit this already. Go to Cour settings and scroll to the bottom and click "More options" it opens this page to allow customisation of announcements on the Home Page.Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.29.43 am.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for providing the process for disabling announcements on the home page for non-C4E  users, @CourtCassar . This idea is specific to Canvas for Elementary, where the announcements display is configured differently.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.