Colored Font

0 Likes
(7)

When using modules, I would like to be able to differentiate some of my posts by using a different color of writing.  Please add the ability to have colored Headers and titles. 

Tags (1)
86 Comments
jakhowe
Community Member

Please add color-coding.  Modules can become visually cluttered.  Also, please add a legend where you can turn off and on the module items by color.  Thanks

jhans59
Community Novice

It would be awesome if there was an option to make the text headers different colors. It would really make them stand out on the home page/in the modules.

jhans59
Community Novice

Either the whole box, or just the text color... Either way would be fabulous!

BigSmiles8
Community Novice

Teachers should be able to change the color of the text header section.  I am not talking about the font.  The whole section/ bar should have a pastel color so it can be visually easier for students to see the different text header topics that we may have in one module.  Students are having difficulties locating and seeing specific activities.

jenny_kanagy
Community Member

Give option for text style in Module creation.

Being able to bold, or highlight, or change the line color within a module for organization and emphasis.

sciteacher
Community Member

I would love to be able to change the color of text headers within a module.  This would emphasize it for the students.  Even if it was only one or two colors, it would be extremely helpful.

sciteacher
Community Member

Allow color to text headers within a module.  This signifies importance to a topic and distinguishes it from the module title.

c_osborne
Community Novice

I agree with this suggestion.  I use color to distinguish topics and assignments from different cohorts as well.  Since students are online why not use color?  

Thank you.

togabrarian
Community Member

I would also like this feature. It would help keep the module organized and make it easier for students to recognize different parts of a module.

JVisco
Community Member

Agree!  This would allow students to differentiate between a Page and other modules, like quizzes and assignments, considered "subgroups" (indented) that fall under a main Page.

urbansk6
Community Contributor

I would love this—as is, the text headers and indentations only change up/organize the module formatting a little bit, which can make it hard to follow and sometimes overwhelming if there's a lot of content.

nmacko
Community Member

I support the idea for adding color to pages without having to use tables and in the Modules for easier reference. I use a different color for an agenda, class activities, readings and screenings by making tables in each page. I save it as a template to reuse. But being able to change the page color would be so much easier. 

mballard1
Community Member

Many of my teachers are asking for this feature. Especially the ability to add colors to texts in headers and to make the headers different colors. It would awesome!

cynthia_carling
Community Explorer

Like others before me have stated color would be a huge improvement! Understanding that color can be a challenge, I had a student that could not see green. Options could be text in a color outlined in black. Also, text can remain black with the header, page, quiz, etc title have a highlight color behind it. Those of us with long modules struggle to differentiate items. The same argument can be made about using color in the instructions of an assignment (re: color deficiency). I have not been able to find a way to center text headers either. Options create ways to differentiate at a glance. Did your eye go to the red? It helps with organization.

I can type in color within a page, quiz, assignment, etc. Which is great, because I can make text stand out. I urge you to work with educators and listen to our concerns.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@MattHanes 

Would you explain the actual procedure you use to put the icons into the assignment names.

edited

@MattHanes 

Never mind - I figured out what was causing my problems.

cynthia_carling
Community Explorer

Sorry for the delay. I'm glad you figured it out. I use the control + command + shift key and the emoji menu comes up.

ny2
Community Explorer

Please add color-coding.  Modules can become visually cluttered.  At a minimum, adding color to the text headers so students can differentiate headers from assignments. 

Thank you for considering. 🙂

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@ny2 

You are lucky - I just figured out how to do what you want.  You can now use Latex about anywhere you can type in information.  You just have to know how to use it in Canvas and how it works in general.

first, you will need \(  and \)  as the start and stop delimiters for regular indentation.  or $$  information $$ for centering it ( I saw this from a post that the great James of Canvas lore posted - don't know where though).  Then you have to figure out how to use the latex information.

as an example below is my test module with three headers (note to actually show a space in latex you have to use \<space>  where <space> represents the actual space entered by hitting the space bar- you see that in the third header line before the definecolor part

first header the title name is: $$ {\textcolor{red} {\textbf {Title}} }$$

Second header : \( \textcolor{blue}{\underline{Title}}\)

Third header: \(\colorbox{yellow}{The text is written here}\ \ \definecolor{antique}{rgb}{0.98, 0.92, 0.84} \colorbox{antique}{hello}\)

bowmanr_0-1620407959773.png

cynthia_carling
Community Explorer

Adding a pattern for color blindness is a great idea. I use the emoji's but would really like the colors and option to easily center items (like the indent option that exists). I would still like to use the emoji tool with the option to have a color band background. Thank you!

nataliet
Community Member

This would be a great feature to add.  Even gradients of gray would be better than the current formatting.   I use icons and indent like crazy to help students differentiate items, but color would be extremely helpful, especially in longer or more complex modules.