Copy question from quiz to question bank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sometimes when you are writing a quiz question, you might decide this is a good question to save into a specific question bank.   Even if the question is from a question bank, you might notice a mistake in a question and you want to save the corrected version to the original question bank.

Right now, the only way to do this right now is to copy and paste it all the questions and answers.  This is tedious -- especially for multiple choice questions.  It would be much easier if there was a save to question bank option.

32 Comments
ronmarx
Community Contributor

This is the type of full-featured versatility we'd love to see throughout Canvas.

ejackson
Community Champion

This is a feature that is definitely needed!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

This is a much needed feature. Flexibility to save different/more than one questions banks (through a checkbox) would be a great feature and allowing multiple users the opportunity to save to the same question bank. The ability to clone the question would also be rather cool as often I use repeated questions with subtle differences.

rweston
Community Novice

This is basic functionality most other LMSs have. While most of Canvas' new adopters this year are still figuring ways of making their content, curation is a necessary tool that won't be in demand until the fall. Stop futzing with Pinterest and get to the tools faculty actually need.

kona
Community Champion

As far as I'm aware Canvas hasn't developed anything for Pinterest or to link the two. Anything done in that regard has been done by Canvas users on their own. 

cxy11
Community Novice

I don't know anything about what Canvas is doing or not doing with Pinterest but I do agree that Canvas should work on getting things that I think are basic and simple to implement correctly first rather than extending trying to do anything complicated.  

Also as I have expressed before, I don't think that  voting for ideas should be the only or even preferred way of getting basic corrections implemented.  I am not saying to eliminate the voting but I do believe there should be an alternate way of evaluating suggestions since the users who vote on ideas are not the typical users.  Suggestions that are obvious and simple to program should just be fast-tracked and  implemented.. These include fixing the names of things so they are less likely to cause confusion and putting things in places that they are more easily found.

kona
Community Champion

@cxy11 ‌, voting is one small piece of information Instructure uses to decide/plan their roadmap. They also collect information from the CSM's, engineers, Product Mangers, direct user feedback, and probably more!

cxy11
Community Novice

If that is the case, how do you give direct user feedback?  

There are so things in Canvas that is costing me and my colleagues hours and hours every semester that I think should be trivial to program and should have been obvious features.  

There other things that cause a me (and my colleagues) much confusion which could have been eliminated with simply relabeling buttons.  I understand what the labels mean now but it would help other newbies if these things titled better.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@cxy11 ‌

This is your channel for direct feedback!  So, you're in the right spot.  

You can leverage an additional channel through your local Canvas Admin.  The Admin can share your feedback with your Customer Success Manager (CSM).

cxy11
Community Novice

Renee,

Thanks for responding. Obviously we have communicated before. I think I have already noted some of my suggestions.

My main point is that I believe these changes should be easy to program though I do realize that there may be complications that I do not understand.

(1) It would save me about half an hour per week if after you upload a grade spreadsheet there was a button that tells Canvas to ignore all non-matching columns and non-matching lines. I have already made this suggestion but I realize that this issue might not affect many people so it may not get many votes. However, it is extremely painful for people that it does affect and it is an obvious feature that I would guess would be very easy to program.

You can see how wasting this much time is extremely frustrating. If you can bring this to the attention to the programmers it would help me a lot.

(2) When making a quiz there is a item to in the Assign window to set the due date. There should be an explanatory sentence in the window so instead of just saying "Due" it should say "Due (submissions after date are marked as late)". I realize that this is explained in the manua,l but let's face it, most people will not read the manual if there is a reasonable alternative interpretation. This would require zero programming effort and would eliminate what to me is the most obvious interpretation of due date as meaning that nothing is accepted after due date.

(3) The setting that allows you to list last name first in grades should be renamed something more obvious than "List in sortable order" and that button should be right on the grades page where it is easy to find. This should be easy to program.

(4) You already have seen my suggestions regarding saving quiz questions to specific questions banks. I am especially interested in having an option to be able to overwrite questions in question banks when I find a mistake so I don't have to fix the question in the quiz and then fix it again in the question bank.

(5) Why is updating grades so slow? Even after the grades file is uploaded and it asks me all the questions regarding mismatching lines it still takes forever to update the grades (sometimes 5 minutes or more). I realize it says that you can do other things while grades are being updated but it still is fairly annoying. I realize this take some effort to fix.

I would appreciate anything you can do to help with this especially the first item.

Thanks,

Chuck