Course Analytics for high-enrollment courses

I would like to see course analytics function better because this feature does not work for courses which have a high number of students enrolled on them.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

15 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Would you please elaborate on your idea?

Are you simply requesting that the current course analytics work better with high enrollment courses? Or, are you requesting more granularity in the reporting?

If it's the latter, can you specify what type of data you'd like to see? If it's both, would you please submit this as two separate ideas instead of one we can move it forward in the voting process, accordingly?

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@c_t_coltman ​

Would filtering by sections, as the idea presents here " modifiedtitle="true" title="Course Level Analytics that can be refined to show Sections ​help with your large course?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Catherine,

I'm going to assume that you mean simply that you would like analytics to be available for large enrollment courses.  If that is not accurate please come back and clarify.

keyesj
Community Novice

Hi

I am a new user to Canvas and understand that analytics does not work for courses with high numbers of enrolments?

If this is what Catherine is meaning, I also would like to know more / whether there is a workaround / plans to fix?

c_t_coltman
Community Contributor

As a starting point I would just like the analytics to work for large enrolment courses, and I will add another idea for requesting more granuality in the reporting.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you, Catherine.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi James,

For high enrollment courses, currently in Canvas, analytics and some reporting are turned off to prevent performance issues.  Changing this will require several fundamental refactors the we are working on but do not have a specific timeline for completing.

belbenmy
Community Novice

I agree with James - we can section courses, but some of our high enrolment courses are harder to section, and we loose most valuable data.  Could the fundamental refactors be made a higher priority, and a specific timeline for completion given?

We need better analytics for big courses (with lots of pages, modules etc) and any analytics for our high enrolment courses - I've voted for high enrollment here, and better detail on analytics here -

Thanks

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Course analytics are super slow for large enrollments.  I think the section idea is a good one, but also being able to select to show active enrollments only would pare down the list.  Right now analytics shows active and concluded, which is not necessary if you are progress monitoring.  You probably want to see active (to see how students are doing) or completed (to see how students faired), but no real need to see both at once.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84969_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Analytics 2: Teacher & Student

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @scottdennis . Quick question.  This thread is old, but are some reporting features still turned off for high enrollment classes?  If so, I was just wondering if there is a certain enrollment where this kicks in.  Thanks!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey ericwerth,

Short answer is that I'm not sure.  Analytics is a separate service so its harder to find definitive answers.  If I understand correctly the question whether analytics not loading in large courses is because there is a set cut off above a certain enrollment or if its not loading simply because its taking a long time.  I know the report has to build line by line for every user in the course so I guessing if the network is still pinging it is still trying to load.  I know those results cache, so in theory if its still trying to load you could chip away at it bit by bit.  Canvas Data is an alternative, obviously.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you (yet).  Hopefully the requests I put out for more info will bear fruit.

Thanks,

SD

ericwerth
Community Explorer

Thanks  @scottdennis !‌  I appreciate the update!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi! This thread is being Archived because of its connection to Admin Analytics.