Creating a quiz bank from published quiz questions that are NOT already in an existing quiz bank.

(2)
Currently, to create a quiz you either hand type in questions or choose questions from a quiz bank.  If you want to create a new quiz bank, you can only pull in questions from other quiz banks or hand type in questions.  There is NO feature that allows you to pull questions from an existing quiz into another quiz or from a quiz into a quiz bank.  This severely limits the instructor if the publisher of the CANVAS course has created quizzes with hand-typed questions if he/she wants to use the same questions in another quiz.  A feature needs to be created to pull questions from other quizzes or  that allows an instructor to create a quiz bank from other quiz questions.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

32 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your post, Deactivated user​.

All questions that are currently in a published quiz reside in a question bank called "Unfiled questions" by default. Have you checked there? You should be able to create a new question bank and move in questions from the unfiled question bank. Or you can create a new quiz and pull questions from the unfiled question bank.

Do either of these options address your concerns?

sbrown1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, I didn't post this so I think you may have tagged the wrong person. Thanks Smiley Happy

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for letting me know. Smiley Sad

FYI: (other)  @stbrown 

abates
Community Novice

I am interested in the same feature. Rather than having to rifle through unfiled questions, it would be nice if a quiz auto-generated its own question bank so that other tests could be made of previously given quizzes.

hduck
Community Novice

Aimee,

I definitely agree. If an instructor imports all of the test from a publisher then the instructor can potentially have hundreds of questions to sort through. I like your suggestion of auto-generating or having a button to "Add to a Question Bank" in the quiz questions area when editing a quiz.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting!

acarrawa
Community Novice

This problem could be easily addressed if Canvas would implement a feature to allow questions to be COPIED, not moved, from one question bank to another.

ejackson
Community Champion

Yes! There is a definite need for this! A "Copy" function would be very useful, and something I would use all the time in helping our faculty.

dwilson2
Community Novice

This would make Canvas much more effective in terms of work on quizzes and exams!

jecheek
Community Novice

Having the capability to pull questions from an existing quiz into another quiz or from a quiz into a question bank would be very beneficial to effectiveness of Canvas.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are looking at a variety of updates to item banking, but the research, design, and development behind this will take some time and certainly more than six months for delivery.  We will archive this topic, and share updates when we have made more progress. Please stay tuned at Modern Quizzing Engine​.

u0617775
Community Member

If you edit quiz questions that were originally used in a question bank, they do not show up in "unfiled questions" even when the question name is changed.  Is there another way to pull edited quiz questions into a new question bank.   @biray ​

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for checking back.  We do not have an update at this time.  We will check back in a couple months.

lawd
Community Participant

Creating a quiz bank from an already existing quiz is possible and fairly easy. You just need to export the quiz as a QTI file and then import that QTI file into the course.

1. Go to settings->Export Course Content->Quiz,
  2. Select the quiz you want to turn into a quiz bank.
  3. Once the file is created click the download link. (this create a QTI file).
  4. Go to a course you want to create the quiz bank.
  5. Click settings->Import Content into this Course
  6. Import the QTI file you created
  7. This will create a Quiz Bank and an actual Quiz. (if you only wanted the bank, you will need to delete the newly created quiz).
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Another trick I use, is to simply copy the quiz into another Canvas course - like a sandbox - This creates a question bank named for that quiz, that you can simply copy back into your original course.

cohenf
Community Participant

Agree. This "unfiled" thing will get unwieldy for me as I pile up the quiz questions in all my courses over the semester. It will be very difficult to file them. The questions should automatically be filed under, at the very least, the course name.

cohenf
Community Participant

I like this option as well. "Unfiled" needs to go. I'm new to Canvas. With the previous LMS, you could add your quizzes to a bank that would automatically save under the course name. You could then use those questions anywhere else you wanted to. If I only had the option to add all the questions to one miscellaneous category, such as "Unfiled," I would have had an extraordinarily difficult time putting together, for instance, the "review" question part of my final exams.

jean-k-gordon
Community Novice

Not sure I get this... I couldn't figure out how to "copy" a quiz, so I imported a quiz from one course to another. But it imported the quizzes as quizzes, not question banks. How did you do it?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

cohenf
Community Participant

@lawd ‌, this is what I've been doing ever since you posted this solution. It's an adequate workaround. Ideally, one should be able select at the "all/multiple quiz" level, "individual quiz" level, and "individual quiz question" level to add quiz questions to a new bank. Also, your instructions should be listed in the official documentation, so one need not happen upon them here in community.

One problem when I use this solution is that students get notifications for new quizzes because they "Publish" automatically. The way I avoid that is to use an unused course shell as a sandbox to import the QTI and create the question bank there. Then, I select my questions from the sandbox's question bank.