[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
snugent
Community Champion

Another reason why this option is important. Sometimes students start a quiz and for whatever reason there is a technical issue. The bad attempt will display to the student if the instructor has not changed the default results options thus allowing the student to see all the questions before they take the second attempt. Having a delete option would be nice in this case.

mckeebru
Community Novice

Yes. Please add this feature.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

I would love this feature as well.  We had it in our previous LMS and it came in handy for many uses. 

jthoms
Community Novice

Fantastic suggestion! I'd add that attempts with a zero score should be automatically dropped. I can't imagine a use case where a student or instructor would want that to be the attempt of record.

pwalsh
Community Novice

Schoology has this feature and I had to use it tons of times because of technical issues so that kids could finish tests and quizzes.

mzucal
Community Contributor

A zero score shouldn't be dropped unless the individual instructor for that assignment has chosen to do so. There are plenty of times you would keep a zero for an attempt. For instance the assignment was completed incorrectly and the student did not earn points.

pwalsh
Community Novice

Agreed. Zeroes are not the same as a non-attempt. Zeroes should be kept unless the instructor takes action. The ability to delete quiz attempts for technical glitches or other problems would be handy.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Yes, a great idea!  Many times, we too, run into technical issues, and it would be helpful to reset an attempt!

peter_koehler
Community Novice

Yes, this would be a nice feature as Bblearn has this. Makes things extremely easy for the instructor to mitigate glitched attempts by the student Smiley Happy

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

Thank you for this suggestion.  I can see how this is important. As we move into future planning for quizzes functionality, we will look into this feature as a potential enhancement.

Kind regards,

Jason