cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete quiz attempts

Delete quiz attempts

(25)
When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

119 Comments
snugent
Community Champion

Another reason why this option is important. Sometimes students start a quiz and for whatever reason there is a technical issue. The bad attempt will display to the student if the instructor has not changed the default results options thus allowing the student to see all the questions before they take the second attempt. Having a delete option would be nice in this case.

mckeebru
Community Participant

Yes. Please add this feature.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

I would love this feature as well.  We had it in our previous LMS and it came in handy for many uses. 

jthoms
Community Participant

Fantastic suggestion! I'd add that attempts with a zero score should be automatically dropped. I can't imagine a use case where a student or instructor would want that to be the attempt of record.

pwalsh
Community Participant

Schoology has this feature and I had to use it tons of times because of technical issues so that kids could finish tests and quizzes.

mzucal
Community Contributor

A zero score shouldn't be dropped unless the individual instructor for that assignment has chosen to do so. There are plenty of times you would keep a zero for an attempt. For instance the assignment was completed incorrectly and the student did not earn points.

pwalsh
Community Participant

Agreed. Zeroes are not the same as a non-attempt. Zeroes should be kept unless the instructor takes action. The ability to delete quiz attempts for technical glitches or other problems would be handy.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Yes, a great idea!  Many times, we too, run into technical issues, and it would be helpful to reset an attempt!

peter_koehler
Community Member

Yes, this would be a nice feature as Bblearn has this. Makes things extremely easy for the instructor to mitigate glitched attempts by the student Smiley Happy

jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Friends,

Thank you for this suggestion.  I can see how this is important. As we move into future planning for quizzes functionality, we will look into this feature as a potential enhancement.

Kind regards,

Jason

pryba_1
Community Participant

A potential enhancement? This should have been in Canvas from the start. No LMS is perfect, but this is definitely something that won't go over well as we pilot Canvas on our end. But at least it's in the pipeline.

desiree_deverea
Community Participant

Right now, if a teacher checks out a quiz by "taking it," that counts as an attempt, and the quiz is now unfortunately locked from edits and unpublishing.  However, if the teacher were able to delete that faux "attempt," the test could be edited and reset.

inesbi
Community Member

This is such a crucial feature! I've already had several students get zeroes on quizzes, dragging down their average between multiple attempts. How do we get this reopened for voting?!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Desiree:

If a teacher takes a Canvas quiz from Student View, they are able to resent the "Test Student", and that removes the attempt on the quiz so that it can be deleted.

All Canvas quizzes can be edited after a student submission, so that is not an issue.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ian:

I posted an answer for you in your resubmission of this feature request. You can use the Moderate Quiz feature to give a single student a re-attempt that will override his/er original attempt.

inesbi
Community Member

Even with an added attempt, the student will still be hurt by the accidental submission if you're averaging the attempts for the final grade.

The best workaround I've found for that is to add the extra attempt and then go back and manually change their blank submission score to the average of the actual attempts. Quite a hassle....

mburton
Community Participant

I would really like to see this option of deleting a student quiz attempt implemented in Canvas!!!!

hollandr
Community Member

Deleting quiz attempts is an essential feature. It is too bad that voting took place over the summer.

ecastro
Community Participant

We STILL need this feature, so I'm trying again with this voting system: Delete quiz attempts

jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

Hello ecastro

No need to resubmit the idea... we will consider addressing this issue with the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​!

Regards,

Jason