Direct link to a course 'Front Page' on the Dashboard in Canvas App

0 Likes

Yes students need to access all of the tools and sections we make available to them in Canvas, but I would like my students to be no more than one 'click' away from viewing the 'Front Page' of my Canvas courses.

I use my front pages to host all of the important information about a course.  And I know from experience that anybody (not just students) using an online platform find it annoying to have to navigate to a page buried in the system.

Too many clicks!Too many clicks!

So, I would like to put forward an idea to add an optional link on the tile/card of each course that links directly to the front page of that course.  

This would give the student the choice to either enter the course proper to view assignments, files, pages, announcements etc, or to go straight to the front page.

Canvas POW.jpg

Please let me know what you think and upvote. 

And Mods, please can you make this an option!

Many thanks,

Dan Collins, Photography Technical Demonstrator & Canvas breaker!

6 Comments
Tech-Dan
Community Member
Author

Sorry, the formatting has gone a bit wild!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

When I use the Canvas Student app, I see my Front Page right away from the "Home" button. 

Screenshot_20201008-100529.png

Have you set your front page as your home page?

How do I change the Course Home Page? 

Tech-Dan
Community Member
Author

@KristinL Well who knew!?

When I asked Canvas support they didn't bring this to my attention.  And I didn't think to download and check the student app version.  

So I just downloaded the student version and it is exactly the same as yours - happy days!

Many thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Tech-Dan 

Thank you for sharing this idea, and many thanks to Kristin for demonstrating the process! We've archived this idea as it is already possible in Canvas Teacher.