DocViewer: Annotations library

0 Likes
(7)

I like the comment library feature, but I wish the comments could carry over to the DocViewer annotations. Another option would be to create an annotations library.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

AdamKempler
Community Member

I am grading student papers via Speed Grader, and I have built up a comment library containing my feedback about problem areas of student papers: essay organization, integration of sources, run-on sentences, MLA formatting, etc.  I want to use my comment library as I annotate student work, highlighting specific words and sentences on student essays and inserting my library comments into annotation boxes that are tied to specific words and sentences that I have highlighted.  

This feature does not currently exist, so I have to retype each comment or cut and paste library comments into annotation text boxes, which is a huge waste of time.  

This feature would be easy to design and implement, and it would save instructors countless hours of time doing tedious work.   

Ultimately, instructors will shift to other platforms for grading if this feature remains unavailable in Canvas.  

h_moore1
Community Explorer

@AdamKempler Agreed! I used Turnitin at my previous institution, and I was able to build a library of annotations that I could use on student papers. When critiquing writing, it's important, I think, to place comments next to the section that needs improvement or is done well. I hope that Canvas can make a feature like this.

lnorth1
Community Participant

Yes please!  This is a much needed feature in Canvas! 

As a former user of Turnitin Feedback Studio, I do miss my QuickMarks, as they enable better quality feedback in a shorter space of time.   

The comments/annotations must remain editable, however, so a comment can be tailored or addressed to a student when appropriate. 

dennis_foung_wo
Community Member

This will be a great idea for writing teachers! 

kmschall
Community Member

I'm an instructional designer, passing along a need from an instructor: there is a need for a comment bank to be integrated directly into the DocViewer in Speedgrader, so that instructors can place the same comment multiple times on specific locations within a document. This would greatly speed up grading when instructors have to post the same comment multiple times in reference to specific parts of a student's submission.

JaneLugea
Community Member

Please include this feature: generic comments are more suited to annotation on specific parts of the essay (e.g. more detail needed; source missing etc).

lettgo583
Community Participant

Agreed! This would be an excellent time saver. Our instructors need an Annotation Library to choose from when annotating paper submissions in our graduate nursing programs. 

PaulVanek
Community Member

Both turnitin.com and Google Classroom allow for this feature. For all teachers of writing, having a comment bank to add as we track concerns, omissions, or other notes would save a great deal of time and effort. Right now, I'm actually having my students submit all essays to Google Classroom instead of canvas in order to give them better feedback that doesn't absorb so much of my time.

Please add this feature.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.