[Assignments] Download a subset of assignment submissions

I have browsed around a bit and am thinking i am missing this so feel free to close this down if it's a duplicate but in working with our large enrollment computer science classes I've noticed that it would be ideal to allow for some kind of partial download of assignments.

If there were a way for an instructor/TA to select a subset of students and download their submissions, that would make the download size, time, and load more manageable. I suspect you 'can' download 200 computer program submissions in one zip file but for larger enrollment courses you might not want to Smiley Happy

- Melanie

Added to Theme

50 Comments
locken
Community Novice

I can't believe that this is not a feature, as well. I expected to be able to sort via time, date, or classes; however no option for that, and one does not realize that until they learn the hard way. As an art teacher, I wanted to print my students' art  for a contest, and cannot begin to explain the frustration and extended time that the lack of this feature caused me. I would expect the feature would be offered soon.

jayde_colquhoun
Instructure
Instructure

We often have multiple teachers sharing a Canvas shell. This feature idea is greatly needed. On top of this, if students don't name their files correctly it becomes even more difficult to sort through and figure out which student is who. 

Either a sub-folder per section or download based on a selected section. 

hasti
Community Champion

Has voting on this been deactivated? I've tried to vote this up, but it won't register my vote (and I am logged in).

This feature is critical -- I have over 500 students in my course and 10 TAs. Downloading everyone's submissions and them writing scripts to sort them into the correct discussion sections is extremely time-consuming and should be something that a Learning Management System supports (without having to beg for votes on it).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hasti ‌, this idea is still open for voting at this writing. The most common reason members who are logged in are not able to vote upon an Open-for-Voting feature idea is that they have already upvoted it.

299761_voted up already.png

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks, Stefanie - I forgot I could manually search the list of folks voting on the idea. I seem to recall that it used to show me that I had voted on an idea already, just like it shows me if I've already liked a comment. Am I imagining that or has that feature been removed?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hasti ‌, I'm fairly certain this feature hasn't changed since we moved the Canvas Community over to this platform—and wow, it's been nearly four years now! I did some testing and can confirm that the interface is slightly different depending on whether a member who is authenticated into the site has or has not voted upon it:

Not Voted Upon: Button is not shaded, "You have not voted" verbiage appears

299762_idea not voted upon.png

Voted Upon: Button is shaded, "You have not voted" verbiage is not present

299763_idea voted upon.png

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks, Stefanie. Wow, that's subtle. Especially since, even if I have voted, the "Vote down" button toggles from unshaded to shaded when mouse over it. I guess I never noticed that I should assume I've already voted on something unless I explicitly see the words "You have not voted" -- which is kind of a weird design choice, since there are way more things I haven't voted on than have. It'd be much more intuitive to have something analogous to the "Like" option which shows me "Like" if I haven't already liked it and "Liked" if I have.

Also there are plenty of other places where there are two button options and one of them shows up shaded by default; the "Add Comment" / "Cancel" buttons when I add a comment and the "Save" / "Cancel" buttons when I edit a comment in this very forum, to give two examples.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hasti , we on the Community Team aren't able to make changes in the baked-in design choices implemented by the third-party software provider. We have a Meta Community Group‌ where anyone can go to discuss all-things-Community (as opposed to Canvas-specific feature sets).

kosmane
Community Novice

As a TA, I have to download the entire gradebook for a 600+ student course to transfer my excel grades in for my two sections.  It's so frustrating!

concepcion_lago
Community Novice

So there aren't updates from Canvas yet to include this feature?!?