Drag and drop files into course modules and assignment edit windows

Could you add a "drag and drop" feature to the course modules and to the assignment edit windows? It is already easy to delete a file in the modules (gear feature) and in the assignment edit windows, but adding and editing the file content in the modules and assignment edit windows would be faster and easier for the instructors if they were able to "drag and drop" a file from their computer files into the modules/assignment edit windows.

Thank you,

Doris Brown

San Domenico School

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Ready Release Notes (2020-05-16) 

41 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

179605_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to " modifiedtitle="true" title="Click and drag into Canvas​ and   which were submitted in different voting periods, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference these ideas for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea!

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. May 4, 2016 - Wed. August 3, 2016! Smiley Wink

ryan-carnahan
Community Novice

Everybody wants this. We're being trained and seriously, everybody wants it.

rachel-gatewood
Community Novice

Can we put stars, two hands up, thumbs up, etc? Just kidding...but this is a great idea! It will make for an easier transition for our faculty who are used to an LMS with that feature. Thank you for adding it!

dbrown3
Community Novice

Thank you, Ryan. My school is transitioning from Moodle to Canvas and I miss this feature. The faculty on my campus will be shown how to vote "up" for this feature during PD in a few weeks. Thank you for helping to get this feature accepted.Smiley Happy Earlier attempts failed due to too few votes:smileyconfused:.  Doris

dbrown3
Community Novice

Thank you Rachel. This feature will save a lot of time. I appreciate any help you can give by encouraging your colleagues to vote "up" for this feature!  glowing_star.pnghands up.png thumb up.png

rachel-gatewood
Community Novice

Awesome!

harker
Community Member

I suggested this same idea to @Brian Whitmer in 2010 pre-Canvas. If it can help instructors build faster, it maybe a hit.

petern
Community Contributor

@dbrown3 ​ this is a essential feature for ease of use.  Many teachers at my school have been trying to drag and drop unsuccessfully because they expect it (it's in gmail and many other sites).  I initially created this idea a while ago and it failed to get much traction.  Hope it does better here. 

Also plugging a new idea: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Hybrid Submission: both online and on paper

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is a super useful feature. I would also love to see Canvas allow more functionality to edit and save documents online and even display them

wrichards
Community Novice

Excellent idea!!