Folders within Arc/Studio

Having the ability to organize uploaded video content within Arc would be a very helpful addition. Right now, videos appear in the order in which they are uploaded. In order to use the same videos again (future years), having folders to organize our content would make everything much easier to find. Thank you for considering!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Studio

For more information, please read through the Studio Release Notes (2020-06-03)

33 Comments
jimlangford
Community Member

I am new to Canvas and a bit taken aback that there is no way to better organize all the videos I am creating.  And, as I understand it, all of my videos are part of this global Studio file, so all videos from my 4+ courses are together.  Yes, I can tag them but would much prefer folders for each of the courses.

jschreier
Community Participant

Get this done Studio Team!! This is really, really needed. Come on!! 

mclark4
Community Participant

The tags are OK, but folders and subfolders are vastly preferable.  I teach multiple fully-online courses, which involve a lot of video.  Studio is fab, but even with tags, I end up hunting too much.  I have to remember to be consistent with tags, which means I have to keep a list, etc.  As someone upthread noted, it's clumsy.  

michaelp3
Community Novice

Canvas is such a useful tool.  I'm very surprised it doesn't offer a basic filing system for videos.  I may end up with over 100 videos - finding the one I want when I need it is going to be a pain without folders. 

kbarton
Community Member

A workaround for searching videos is to click on View for your media, then click on Details, then click on Edit Details and then enter Tags for each file. I find course number/name, chapter or module, and other important identifying features are the most useful. Since I do music examples, my media number in the hundreds. The absence of a Hierarchical File System (HFS) in our age represents very poor planning.

michaelp3
Community Novice

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Thanks,

Paul Michael

Assistant Professor, Business Administration

debra_blackwood
Community Novice

PLEASE make this a priority! I work on multiple projects for multiple grades and teachers, and it would be SO MUCH easier if I could organize them into folders!  My Studio dashboard is so full and such a mess!

pfau
Community Explorer

Seriously? We have to beg for folders to organize our videos? Really?

abible
Community Member

Good idea

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Media owners can create custom media collections and share them with Studio users. Collections allow media owners to group content together for easy access in My Library.

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26901-studio-release-notes-2020-06-03