[Gradebook] Missing Tags for Assignments using LTI Tools

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Problem statement:

I use mostly LTI Tools when creating Canvas Assignments for my 6th-8th Grade students. When an assignment is created using an LTI Tool, settings like the Gradebook setting of Apply 0% to missing work do not function. That's been addressed in other posts. I know how to use the three-dot settings for individual assignments to "Set Default Grade" to manually assign 0's, but what I really want to do is to assign the Missing tag to all assignments that haven't been submitted at the due date. Since I do use Canvas Discussions, those will automatically mark as Missing after the due date, but no assignment that is generated using an LTI Tool will do that. So some are marked Missing while others are not and these 11-year-old kids in an online learning setting aren't picking up on the action of checking the Gradebook for — to show it hasn't been submitted and is missing. It makes for misunderstanding for students and parents monitoring student submissions and grades.

Proposed solution:

If the programming is not ready for Assignments with LTI Tools to be automatically be updated to Missing, then I need one of the following to help me give Missing feedback efficiently to students: 1. Have a three-dot setting option to "Mark Unsubmitted Assignments as Missing" to mass apply the Missing tag to individual assignments. 2. Be able to use a keyboard shortcut like M or Mi to apply the Missing tag like we are able to apply the Excused tag in individual student grade boxes by typing Ex.

User role(s):

instructor

8 Comments
ChristopherShe2
Community Novice

Yeah - What she said!

KatieNelson801
Community Explorer

I also noticed just now that if I manually assign the Missing tag that the tag doesn't disappear when a student submits and is graded on the submission. That needs to be addressed as well.

EdTechCoach
Community Member

Please look into this. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi Everyone -

I found Option for missing assignments to get a zero if using External Tool, and I wonder if it covers the same things discussed here. If so, I would merge this thread into that one so the discussion would occur in one space. 🙂

KatieNelson801
Community Explorer

@KristinL No, this is definitely not the same. I want the bright red, all caps MISSING like this:

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 8.55.04 AM.png

And for it to show on the Course card in the Missing tally like this:

Course Card Missing.png

Right now, my only option for assignments created using an LTI Tool/External Tool is to manually assign the Missing tag using this method. And when a teacher has numerous assignments that use an external tool within a week and a large number of students, this a very inefficient method and terrible use of teacher time just to give them the same feedback that Canvas has automated for Canvas assignments that are not LTI/external tool assignments (like Discussions or New Quizzes).

But when a teacher adds the Missing tag manually, then the Missing tag does not turn off until the teacher manually turns it off. This means that a student can complete an assignment and be graded and it still show as MISSING in the Gradebook and on their course cards. This creates another very inefficient step for the course instructor to go in and turn those off.

If Canvas programming is not to the point of being able to automatically apply those tags when the deadline has passed if there is no score for the student, then I need one of the two solutions recommended in the original post. 1. An auto-fill option from the three-dot settings for the individual assignments or 2. A keyboard shortcut of typing M or Mi in the grade box for individual students like we can do to mark assignments Excused with Ex very rapidly with the keyboard shortcut.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

tmontenarello
Community Member

Hi, This is definitely a feature that needs to be addressed ASAP. Without this, I have to manually check each grade book every day to make sure the assignments with LTI tools are marked missing.

Canvas, please help!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-01-04)