[Discussions] Grading Discussion in the Discussion Stream

I often use the Discussion feature as a Do Now activity for students in my classes. I try and reward students with points for participating in the discussions daily. Sometime going through the Speedgrader to grade these can be a longer process than what is necessary. I think if we could somehow include a grading box right along in the student stream where they post, it would be much easier to read replies, ensure student understanding, as well as saving time to grade students 1 by 1.

56 Comments
crystal_trotter
Community Novice

If this gets changed, will we also be able to access rubrics that were added to the discussion without having to go into speedgrader? Otherwise it might be pointless for courses that have very clear guidelines and rubrics for grading discussions and having that grade filter into the gradebook.

kself
Community Novice

If I comment again, will this bump it up in the voting stream?  I like to grade on the go, using speedgrader while tethering my phone to my iPad when I'm out at children's activities, etc.  I can't use the workaround suggested at the top in those instances since I only have one device that will show me the thread....not to mention it is cumbersome and awkward to have to have two screens up to do what could be accomplished so easily in one.  Please vote this suggestion up!  It would be so nice to have the ability to grade discussions in the flow of a discussion rather than throwing it to speed grader where context is lost.

dtheriault
Community Contributor

I already clicked "like" but I agree so completely. We have a saying at FVHS, "you have to go to where the kids are." I'm in the discussion, I don't want to have to go somewhere else to grade it.

nschwab
Community Member

I am trying to make almost all of my assignments submitted exclusively through the Discussion feature. I want all students to be able to see their classmates' work rather than being the only one that sees it. I have started to use outside social media and blogging sites because grading a discussion is not nearly as 'speedy' as other assignment types. The goal is to be able to keep as much inside of Canvas as possible so we have a convenient place to share, collaborate and get/give feedback.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

137214_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

If you found this feature idea compelling you might also consider voting for , which will open for vote on March 2nd.

michelle_labrie
Community Novice

Lauren,

I agree completely with your idea, so much that I submitted it again for voting. I'm hoping we can garner more approvals this time around. I will be sending messages to all of the Canvas users at my institution asking them to support the idea.

michelle_labrie
Community Novice

I agree completely with your idea, so much that I submitted it again for voting. I'm hoping we can garner more approvals this time around. I will be sending messages to all of the Canvas users at my institution asking them to support the idea.

michelle_labrie
Community Novice

I agree completely with the idea, so much that I submitted it again for voting. I'm hoping we can garner more approvals this time around. I will be sending messages to all of the Canvas users at my institution asking them to support the idea.

michelle_labrie
Community Novice

I agree completely with the idea, so much that I submitted it again for voting. I'm hoping we can garner more approvals this time around. I will be sending messages to all of the Canvas users at my institution asking them to support the idea.