Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

145 Comments
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'd support this *if* the end result is that content pages would have "available from" and "available until" dates for this functionality (not exactly scheduling an auto-publish).  This would then be in alignment with how other areas of Canvas operate (discussions, quizzes, assignments, etc).

jgraves
Community Novice

Nice point of clarification, chriscas. I can't imagine any disagreement on this, but you are right in noting that the proposal we are voting on does not clearly state the need for an "available until" date. I am not sure how the idea process works (whether an idea can be clarified while voting is in progress), but perhaps  @aungaro , the author of the idea, can amend the language to clarify the request, assuming it is indeed consistent with her basic proposal.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jgraves ‌, it wouldn't be a good idea for  @aungaro ‌ to edit the idea submission at this stage, considering that people have been voting on its original iteration for quite some time now. That said, once an idea moves to Product Radar status, our product team reviews the entire comment thread—not just the original submission—and will take all the feedback into consideration to design an optimal feature.

jgraves
Community Novice

Fair enough, stefaniesanders. I think this is more "clarification" than "change," but I certainly understand your point. I also agree that one person's clarification might be another's change, so your policy is undoubtedly a sound one. I just hope the product team picks up the idea.

don_bryn
Community Champion

This is such a good idea that it really should have been part of the initial spec!   Everything that has publishing should have the capability of being scheduled (available from/to).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to  @don_bryn ‌ for noting the similarity of this idea to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3288-add-lock-until-date-to-content-pages (and we do have them paired!).

don_bryn
Community Champion

Hi stefaniesanders is it possible for you as a community manager to actually merge 2 ideas instead of just think them?  I think this would be a big help to the community and it's ability to use discussions to develope a complete idea with all of it's possible uses/problems/implementations?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@don_bryn ‌, unfortunately, the software platform we use doesn't give us the ability to merge distinct ideas while simultaneously preserving the integrity of vote totals, voting data, and comment threads. In cases where duplicate or near-duplicate ideas go forward simultaneously for a while without being discovered (either by us or by a sharp-eyed community member), we need to leave them intact—but we keep a close eye on the combined total and all of the feedback and relay same to our product team.

sanders3
Community Novice

I think you have the wrong stephanie sanders

Sent from my iPhone

don_bryn
Community Champion

You are right. . .fixed.