Make assignment dates universally accessible to students

0 Likes

As it stands, if a teacher does not want to specify an assignment's range of availability to students - e.g. maybe a student has been critically ill or has been hospitalized - or has maybe just been on vacation for a week - students cannot know the publication date of an assignment, i.e. they cannot know the date when the assignment was actually assigned.    With all of the useful, but ultimately unnecessary dynamism built into CANVAS, it's utterly shocking that in this case students cannot even know the date of an assignment. 

4 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

I find it very strange that when you publish an assignment, quiz, etc. where you have not previously specified an "available" date, Canvas does not automatically insert the publication date as the available date.  There is no reason why an available date should ever be null, as having the available date set in the past would make the item equally available immediately.

I think it should be possible for administrators at the account or sub-account level to enable a default date of null available date = publication date of assignment.

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

I posted the above comment as a separate idea to allow for the setting of default dates at the account/sub-account level: Default date options for items, e.g., if Due & Until are both null, setting Due defaults Until = Due

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.