Message Refreshing

(3)

In Canvas messages, and specifically the Inbox, I have noticed that a number will appear on envelope on the left side of the screen, but messages do not show up unless the page is manually refreshed. As a point of comparison, in gmail, if you are online the new mail automatically shows up (without the need to refresh the page).

It seems Canvas is only part-way there. Let's get the rest of the way, please.

It seems like a little thing, but if you can make a number appear, why not actually load the messages at the same time.

Attached you will see what I mean from before and after a refresh of the page.

4 Comments
rmy
Community Member

I noticed that the circle badge with the number in it does not get cleared after I read a message in the Inbox unless I refresh the tab. I also notice that I have to refresh all of the open Canvas tabs to clear the badge. This can be time consuming, especially while instructors are trying to invigilate an exam and monitor the inbox for messages from students. Would it be possible to have this badge get cleared immediately and synchronously across tabs after messages have been read?

angela_lam
Community Member

Totally in agreement with rmy's comment.  The Inbox is not workable when we are running exams.  It is too slow.  It is not in real time.  The number shows when it should not, and does not show when it should. It needs to be synchronous.

dheup
Community Participant
Problem statement:

When a person reads an inbox message, the Unread icon stays on. Reading another message does not change the icon. Only refreshing the page changes it to read.

Proposed solution:

When a person clicks on a message, the Unread message indicator should change to read.

User role(s):

instructor,student,ta

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.