[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
ralves1
Community Member

Please add this feature.

Reshanga
Community Member

Please add this feature asap.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Great & useful idea!

passerinij
Community Participant

Eighteen pages' worth of "we need this." But we don't have it yet? I'm... flummoxed. Why hasn't this been addressed? 

I, for one, would be less frustrated if I understood why this "multiple due date" idea hasn't borne fruit? Is it impossible to have two due dates for one assignment? Impossible to link to the same discussion board through two different assignments that could each use the Speedgrader application to access the discussion? (As opposed to my clunky solution of graded discussion + "no submission" extra graded assignment that links back to the discussion, has a different date, and which I score manually.) No way out of this hobble? 

Telling students to take due dates seriously... while also explaining that some due dates are wrong and that others will change later to accommodate multiple posts, multiple paper drafts, etc., is obviously problematic, right?

Maybe what we want is something we just can't have, but if that's the case, I'd like to know why. I'm not a coder, but I'm reasonably bright. And I'll take "no" for an answer if what seems like a reasonable request is actually an impossibility.

Is it actually impossible? And if so, how come? 

DanielleStrimbu
Community Member

This would be so helpful! There are two due dates with discussions and it would be great to have both show up in to do list

emileerummel
Community Explorer

I don't understand how this has been asked for since 2015 and we don't have it yet. Discussions are essential in online courses and making professors have to go check dates to ensure the multiple posts were on time is inconsiderate of the instructors and having only one due date for an assignment that actually has multiple due dates is inconsiderate to the students. Please go ahead and add this feature Canvas!

klink
Community Explorer

Please, please add this feature. As @emileerummel notes, not having it is inconsiderate to both instructors and students.

ljp1
Community Explorer

It's going on seven years since this OP and although this multiple due date feature for discussions seems to be enthusiastically supported,  it still doesn't seem to have made it into the queue for development. This thread is the only place that showed up in my search, anyway. 

connellm
Community Member

This would be an amazing feature!!!! 

ELIJARAMILLO
Community Member

In CANVAS, for my Icebreaker, I'd like to set up a Discussion Board in which students first post info about themselves by Wednesday, then reply to two other peer comments by Saturday.   So I'd like a  Discussion Assignment with two different deadlines and two separate grades for each of the two tasks in the same Assignment:  Post-personal info by Wednesday,  / make comments on two peer-postings by Saturday.  So there would be two activities within the same Assignment with split task/deadline/grades for each Activity, still in the same Assignment.