New Quizzes: Add Media Recording to Text Editor

(99)

I would love for there to be an audio option embedded in the Quizzes.Next text editor so that I could record an audio of me reading the question directly to each question. You can now record one somewhere else like Audacity and then upload the file to the question, but it's time consuming. You can record directly into a Page in Canvas, so I'm wondering if it's an easy fix to make it possible to record directly into a quiz question. 

Idea is currently in development
74 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @kjones12 (and a slightly belated)  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Since this is already possible in classic Canvas Quizzes, are you submitting this idea specifically for Quizzes.Next?

We've placed this idea into Moderating status temporarily as we look forward to your clarification. Thanks!

kjones12
Community Novice

Smiley Happy Yes, Quizzes.Next. Thanks so much!

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks,  @kjones12 ‌! We have made a few edits to the title and description of the idea to make it clear that it is specific to Quizzes.Next, and to broaden its scope a bit to encompass a media recording capability. It's open for voting.

kjones12
Community Novice

Thanks!

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 1:33 PM Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

MattHanes
Community Champion

The new recorder in Canvas is such a great tool for assisting students with their "read aloud" accommodations! I could dramatically increase our Quizzes.next usage with a recording tool built in. We have some teachers that are recording the audio clips using Chrome extensions and then uploading them, but only the more tech-savvy teachers are willing to try that. If the recorder was built-in (like old quizzes), we would have tremendous buy-in from our SPED departments.

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

I think Instructure should really make sure this is in quizzes.next. Feature parity is critical for large institutions like ours.

breid1
Community Novice

I teach first grade and use the audio recorder with the old quizzes feature.  I love that I can record myself reading the questions and answer choices for my students.  This allows my students to work independently on Canvas.  I love most of the features of quizzes.next, however, I don't use it because it doesn't have an audio recorder. It would take way too much work to record each question and answer with an outside program, save each file to my computer, and then upload each audio recording individually.  Please think about adding an audio recorder to quizzes.next.  

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

Taking that feature away is a big step back technology wise. One of the great things about Canvas is the ability to record directly into most things, whether it is audio or video.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

To have the media recorder available in Quizzes next as soon as possible, is pressing to make us leave the old Quizzes for Quizzes next! This must have top priority, as we would like to start using Quizzes next at the start of the next semester (August 2019). Recording audio and video is a important part of what we ask our pupils do in the old Quizzes today, especially in our lowest classes. The youngest pupils havn`t even learnt how to write yet. The possibility for oral answer is of the highest importance, and we ask Canvas to put this at the top of their priority list. The easy solution? We just need the same editor in Quizzes next as in the old one, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

I hope we hear from Instructure on this soon. 

MattHanes
Community Champion

I wish I could vote for this a thousand times.

tsmith171
Community Novice

I agree.  I use the recording tool in the classic canvas quizzes as I have several ELL and SPED students that get oral administration for their tests.  Just tried out the Quizzes next and LOVE how it looks, but HATE that I can't just record me reading the question directly in there for those students.  Now I have to totally create a SEPERATE quiz for them whereas in the classic Canvas quizzes I do not.  Where can I vote on this feature as it's desperately needed.  I hear we are going to be going to quizzes.next as the standard tool in September and that will mean I can no longer use canvas for those students.  

tsmith171
Community Novice

Exactly...having that option is why I finally ditched Google forms and started making my quizzes in Canvas...I'd hate to have to go backwards.  

tsmith171
Community Novice

Ditto X 1000

stale_heggset
Community Novice

This must be on the top of Canvas` list, as a lot of teachers yet don`t even know that the record button is missing in Quizzes.next. Please fix it now, and we don`t even have to tell them it is missing. Happy teachers make good schools.

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

The fact that this isn't in there yet is borderline ridiculous! Come on! 

kelseybrown
Community Novice

This is a much needed tool for the special education students.  The students like to choose which question to listen to vs. having to hear the whole test/assignment.  

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Totally need this, yes!

Få Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Very important! A must for K-12!

Få Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

EmileSorger
Community Explorer

I am also a huge proponent of this, just an idea, could "media submission" be it's own option as a way to answer a question within the quiz?