[New Quizzes] Add location for SpeedGrader Access

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the current quiz system, an instructor may access SpeedGrader through the grade book or from the overview screen of the quiz itself (see below).

278080_pastedImage_1.png

With Quizzes.Next, currently you can only access SpeedGrader through the grade book (you can grade questions using "Moderation" but not access SpeedGrader).

I propose that a "SpeedGrader" button be added to the main page of Quizzes.Next assessments (example below).  I believe this would improve the user-friendliness of Quizzes.Next and make navigation more similar to the current quizzing options.

278096_pastedImage_3.png

Thanks!

28 Comments
kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

I'd like to lend my support for this idea. Given that there is a direct link in Classic Quizzes to Speedgrader, it would be good to see this replicated in New Quizzes. Just so Instructors do not have to change their workflow any more than they need to. 

dheup
Community Participant

While we are waiting for Canvas to fix this, here is a work-around that I used for my institution. I would be interested in learning if it works for yours. 

In Excel, use the following formulas: 

=hyperlink(CONCAT(LEFT(A2,B2),"gradebook/speed_grader?assignment_id=",RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-B3)))

where A2 is the New Quizzes URL,

B2 is =FIND("assignments",A2,1)-1 (Don't forget the -1 at the end.)

and B3 is =B2+12

If Google Sheets is what you use, the formulas are a little different.

Cell A2 is still the URL

A3 is =CONCAT(C2,RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-B3))

B2 is also the same =FIND("assignments",A2,1)-1  

B3 is still =B2+12

C2 is =CONCAT(LEFT(A2,B2),"gradebook/speed_grader?assignment_id=")

milesl
Community Contributor

I just drafted the exact same feature request. Glad I searched a bit harder before posting a duplicate.

A common pieces of feedback we get from instructors trying New Quizzes is that they gave up and went back to classic quizzes, due to not realizing that the speedgrader exists in new quizzes.

mmaestu
Community Member

Is there a way to access the speed grader directly from the quiz (when using new quiz format)?

Currently I have to go to access the speed grader for a new quiz from the grades section. 

Tiira
Community Member

Currently, there is no way to get to the speed grader from a new quiz. You have to go to the grade book, find the assignment, click the three dots on the side and go to speed grader. It would be very helpful and efficient if a tab next to moderate took you to speed grader.

cbarker3
Community Member

Since the recent canvas update I can no longer access speedgrader from quizzes.  This makes it incredibly cumbersome to navigate to grade assignments from the gradebook or moderate on the quiz details page.  This was also applied retroactively to previous created quizzes and for some of these I can now only grade them by individually clicking on each student under moderate and then returning to moderate, selecting the next student and so forth.  

It was called speedgrader for a reason, it made navigating between students on assignments VERY simple.  This feature makes me dread grading because the process is going to be unnecessarily complicated and it is marked decrease from the previous iteration.  This has added about 45 mins to an hour to grading each week and made grading make-up or late work a process that takes 3-5 mins just to get to the assignment for 1 student, where as it used to take 30 seconds or less. 

aknueven
Community Explorer

Requesting accessibility to SpeedGrader for New Quizzes to be found within the New Quiz itself and/or within the vertical  ••• action menu. Currently, the only access to SpeedGrader is by navigating to the Canvas Gradebook which is limiting and extra clicks to get to what was accessible quickly in the classic quiz setup. Advocating for a colleague, going through Grades is time consuming with numerous assignments, the page often times out and the page fails to load. 

Thank you for your consideration

StacyBales
Community Member

Hi, I would like the New Quizzes to allow immediate access to Speed Grader like it does on the old quizzes.  I can not load my Gradebook in a timely manner.  I have 780 quizzes.  I don't have time to click all around.  I need immediate access.  

bcsmmarshall
Community Member

SpeedGrader is easily accessible in Assignments and Old Quizzes on the right side of the page. To get to it with New Quizzes, you have to first go to the grade book, click on the three dots next to the assignment, and then to Speedgrader. This is more steps and inconsistent with your current workflow and design. Please consider adding this to make everything more consistent and easier to navigate. Thank you.

chrish
Community Participant

Totally agree!