New Quizzes: Allow use of turnitin

(107)

When using the new quiz app for a take home exam, it would be good to allow the use of turnitin to monitor any inappropriate collusion on essay questions. 

57 Comments
MimL_27
Community Explorer

My organisation uses Quizzes and short essays for most of the assignments, I would be absolutely fantastic for us to have Turnitin applied to quizzes. Currently the trainers are having to do this manually and the workload is amazing. Please apply Turnitin to Canvas quizzes ! I know Turnitin is capable, it's Canvas that needs to flick the switch !

Looking forward to the day !

Mim

peg-employease
Community Explorer

Please allow Turnitin to apply to Quizzes!!

We need this desperately for our cohort of students. Most of our student work is done in quizzes, as our students work much better directly in Canvas, without downloading, saving and uploading documents. It becomes an access and equity issue if we use assignments instead of quizzes. However, this leaves us exposed to cheating and plagiarism. 

We understand that the functionality is ready to go ahead from Turnitin's side, and that it's just a matter of Canvas finalising the development from their end. Hopefully this can be completed very soon.

Many thanks,

Peg

Sim-one
Community Novice

Our organisation would benefit hugely from the application of Turnitin to Quizzes, we would love to see this function escalated as a matter of priority please 😊

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Looking forward to hearing any updates on whether Turnitin will be available with New Quizzes.

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

@kirsten_ryall  @Sim-one @peg-employease  - Aggreed! It would be good to know this is underway/in consideration for the 2021 roadmap.

MimL_27
Community Explorer

@kirsten_ryall  Good to hear from you Kirsten, hope you are well. Happy for you and the rest of the gang to vote for this, if you could pass it round to our friends. Thanks to you too @Sim-one !

We really need this function to work asap @peg-employease 

ccallicott
Community Explorer

This should be a top-priority fix. I just caught a student cheating on her final exam but only because she had also plagiarized the final paper, which I graded the day before. I managed to catch the problem with the exam (a short-essay question) by creating an assignment in my Sandbox and pasting her text into that assignment in "student-view" mode, then exiting student view to see the Turnitin score. But that was very time consuming and not a good fix.

Lockdown browser is not a sufficient fix for this problem either. I wanted my students to have access to digital files that were our readings, lecture powerpoints, and their course notes. With a lock-down browser they can't access other apps. 

Della1
Community Novice

I use Turnnitin from within Canvas and love how I can in one click of a button add it Turnitin to my Canvas assignments. I am trying to create an essay "Quiz" and the Plagiarism Review button does not appear. How can we get Turnitin built into the "Quiz" feature, as well as regular "Assignments"? My district has been in distance learning for 10 months and a plagiarism tool is very helpful. Thank you.

JASONPENTERMAN
Community Member

The plagiarism finder needs to be on in the quiz section of Canvas. 

sernekos
Community Member

This feature is desperately needed, for short answer and essay questions in quizzes.

mehall
Community Explorer

How much noise do we have to make on this post to see it upgraded to an Idea or whatever the term is? 🙂

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

@mehall  - get everyone to 'star' it and see if it gets attention. I believe Canvas knows people want it, but not sure if the plugin needs to come from Canvas or Turnitin. Perhaps Turnitin needs to be made aware that this is a need. I heard there is a Turnitin plugin for Moodle quizzes. 

mehall
Community Explorer

@sharon_kitching Good point!

LilianaCB
Community Member

The lack of this feature is prohibiting many of our academic staff from using Quiz, which is a much more flexible and appropriate option for their assessment types.

Crimsonnole
Community Novice

Is there a way to embed a plagiarism check into the quizzes? A lot of students are plagiarizing their quiz responses if I select the essay option. 

Crimsonnole
Community Novice

I agree as well. While yes, uploading and linking that with turnitin is nice, it should automatically be embedded within the essay question option 

ragsdalej
Community Member

Yes, integrated  plagiarism detection for essay questions on quizzes as well as discussion boards would be amazing!  

leaj
Community Explorer

I vote yes!

PatrickStoddart
Community Explorer

Adding a vote here too for New Quizzes to have the Plagarism Framework capability added so that submissions of text questions can be sent off to Turnitin and managed appopriately. At the moment we extract and compile and upload as zip responses. However, there is no API hook on the Turnitin side to automate this, so this last step is manual, and we are having difficulty supporting this for hundreds of quizzes at a time during central exam periods.

Turnitin have advised they will not do any development to streamline this unless instructure move to add the CPF.

Cheers

Patrick Stoddart

The University of Melbourne

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

@PatrickStoddart  - yep. We currently download the all the quiz answers in excel, run it through a script to turn it into x individual files, and upload the zip to turnitin. NOT good solution.