New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
btbtbtbt
Community Member

This is an incredibly frustrating issue! Please let me know if you need more 'votes' to make this happen, I will begin a campaign! I know several other teachers who are just as lost as to why quizzes are not on the to do list/sorted in speed grader. Why was this feature not carried over from old quizzes? Please treat this like an error, rather than a new idea that must be vetted.

GalenScott
Community Member

This shortcoming is significant enough to tip the scales for users at my institution in favor of Classic quizzes. Need a solution at least a year ahead of June 2024 sunset to give everyone time to adjust.

melissa_sheets
Community Member

I also have a problem with the fact that I don't know how to get to the question banks I've built.

yb0005
Community Member

In the new quiz format, we have to go a long way to find the speed grader: first go to Quiz folder, then click on build, before we find the speed grader. In the old format, we can access the speed grader directly by click on a quiz or exam. Canvas may make the same mistake as Microsoft did in removing the start menu in Windows 8. Please bring back the shortcut to speed grader!

healthypetvet
Community Explorer

Yes!!!! Also when you see the list in speed grader every student has a check next to their name even if they have ungraded questions.  I have to click through each and every student to see who still needs to be graded.  This is critical.  It would also be nice to be able to quickly click to the questions that are ungraded instead of scrolling down and all test starting at the top.  Was nice in old quizzes to go through and grade question #30 on everyone by just clicking the next student.  New quizzes pops back to the beginning of the test when you click the next student.  Time wasted!

mgarcia7
Community Member

New Quizzes with essay questions

1. should not automatically earn a grade of 0

2. I, the instructor should see New Quizzes with undegraded essay questions in my To Do. 

Honestly, New Quizzes is basically unusable in it's current form. We should not have to constantly go through every single exam one by one, day after day, to determine if there are essay questions that are ungraded within the quiz. Please listen to us as we tell you that this is not working, at all. I basically consider New Quizzes as non-functional. I always give essay questions and I often have assignments that are only essay questions. It should not auto grade essay questions. It should simply pop into my To Do list so I can grade it. We need some sort of notification that there are assignments that need review.

ardecker
Community Novice

Late assignments or resubmission of assignments will show up in teacher notifications; yet, exams when taken late or retakes do not.  Can there be a teacher notification for both?

asmith34
Community Explorer

It is incredibly hard to find open ended questions that need to be graded in New Quizzes.  In Speedgrader, it will make it even look like it's all done and graded by showing a checkmark.  It won't even put a green dot next to the student to show there are ungraded answers. Since it also doesn't show up on the to-do list, I have no idea which students' written responses still need to be graded. This is a major concern, which leads me to almost always use Classic Quizzes unless it's completely MC questions.

adam_zolkover
Community Participant

Totally agree. In addition, when New Quizzes have some manually graded questions, they need to appear in gradebook as "needs grading." (Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but here's a link to that ideas conversation.)

jsward
Community Member

I allow my students to take a quiz multiple times and my quizzes often have questions that need to be scored "by hand".  Unlike new assignment submissions, I can't tell if a student has taken a quiz a second time, and subsequently I need to score the non-auto-graded questions on said quiz. Currently, I see a score for a student in the gradebook, but I can't tell immediate if that is a score because of missed points or a score because some questions are ungraded.

I'd love to see an item pop up in the To Do list for instructors that show all the quizzes that need to be graded.