New Quizzes Grading Indication

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

New Quizzes Grading

New Quizzes allows mixed question formats which could result in some questions being auto graded and some needing manual grading. In the grade book, using Speedgrader, there is no indicator of what is fully graded and what is not unless you use the moderator on each student and view the attempts. Our idea was to have the Green check mark for fully graded quizzes, a Yellow dot for partially graded and a Red dot for ungraded that shows in the  Student Drop down list where you can currently see the Green check mark. Instructors often have to step away and it would a benefit if they can quickly see where they left off and return to grading. 

43 Comments
lynseykae
Community Member

Please fix this. It is one of the biggest issues with new quiz. 

ian_konen
Community Explorer

This missing functionality should be treated as a critical bug, not a feature request.

meceyjulie
Community Novice

Please correct correct this.

Steven_S
Community Champion

It is essential to have an indicator of new quizzes that need grading, because it is so easy to miss resubmissions or late submissions.  The color coding is easily blocked by the color coding of dropped scores, and an ungraded late submission or resubmission is usually one of the lowest grades. 

Also, once the gradebook can detect and display which new quizzes need grading, it would be great if there was a filter that displayed only the gradebook columns that need grading:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Ungraded-work-filter/idc-p/439144#M45334

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Adding my support to this idea. This is one of the many reasons we have not enabled New Quizzes at our institution, despite many requests. 

GordonDe
Community Novice
Reccomendation for Canvas update: When we are using the old quiz vs. the new quiz there is one feature that sticks out to our Team that provides frustration in the new quiz. I am sure they will update it in a few weeks.

Old quiz: When an essay or gradable question is added the student grade shows up as a paper in grade or a yellow dot in speed grader, signifying to the teacher that it needs to be graded.

New Quiz: When an essay or gradable question is added the students grade in the gradebook or speed grader does not reflect that a question needs to be graded. In order to notice a question needs to be graded you need to open the assignment in speedgrader and it states it at the top. Scrolling through every assignment has been taxing.

GordonDe
Community Novice
Reccomendation for Canvas update: When we are using the old quiz vs. the new quiz there is one feature that sticks out to our Team that provides frustration in the new quiz. I am sure they will update it in a few weeks.

Old quiz: When an essay or gradable question is added the student grade shows up as a paper in grade or a yellow dot in speed grader, signifying to the teacher that it needs to be graded.

New Quiz: When an essay or gradable question is added the students grade in the gradebook or speed grader does not reflect that a question needs to be graded. In order to notice a question needs to be graded you need to open the assignment in speedgrader and it states it at the top. Scrolling through every assignment has been taxing.
csalas
Community Member

I agree. NEED this. 😄

manon_felos
Community Member

Because New Quizzes automatically grades the essays and sets them to 0, there's not easy way for me to see which assignments I've graded and which I still have left to do. Please bring back the Classic Quizzes feature of leaving essay questions UNGRADED and please also bring back the "orange dot" or "document symbol" for ungraded essay quizzes.

amaccuish
Community Novice

Is there a way to notify a teacher when a student has completed a quiz that we need to grade?  I have students complete the "new quizzes" and it shows up in my grade book, but I do not know that it is there unless a student tells me that they have completed a quiz.  If they turn in a quiz late, the box is blue, but nothing tells me I need to grade the short answer questions.  A notification of some sort or add it to my to-do list?  Anything to tell me I have a quiz to grade would be great.