New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17).

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

68 Comments
stuart_walsh
Community Novice

I, for the life of me, can not understand why Canvas would place an new course on the system without the full functionality of the system. Beats my way of thinking all together. 

sharon_barbour
Community Novice

Hi there, having a next button helps students navigate weekly work much more easily than the current return to module view. Some students assume they have finished their work for the week, which is not always the case. Another workaround could be that the Quiz opens automatically in a new window. Students would then simply close it and be automatically back on the same page from before and would click Next as per usual. Either solves the problem of lost navigation. Cheers

lynn_birdsong
Community Member

Excellent points. My children with Special Education needs could not figure out how to go back to the Module when there was no NEXT button and there were pages following. This should be a high priority fix. Many of us will continue to use the old Quiz platform for that reason. Please fix SOON.

jessica_border1
Community Novice

It would be fabulous if 'New' quizzes had the 'Next' function like 'Classic' does. 'New' quizzes is so much nicer to work with and I love the format - the only issue is the progression forward rather than the 'Return' button. Thanks so much. 

sarah_martin132
Community Novice

Please fix this issue

george_franz
Community Participant

I can't utilize new quizzes until there is a fix for this.  There is too much in my course flow that depends on the "next" button in modules.  I don't even display modules for my students - I use page daily and weekly pages to point them to the start of a module.  Then I use the previous/next for navigation.  I've recently seen a way to iframe the quiz inside of a page, but workarounds severly limit the ease of maintenance. It almost works, but also breaks the functionality of using scores as conditions for completion of the module, since it appears to the module as just a page.  This is a truely serious design flaw, and I'm recommending to my colleagues to not bother with new quizzes development until it is fixed.

mrwnphs
Community Explorer

I am trying to make a Scavenger Hunt that includes quizzes.  The Next Previous buttons for Module Progression are absolutely needed.  And, in fact, I would like the option of creating a link at the end of the Quiz to take me to a specific page in place of the Next button so that I can have branching from the New Quiz the student is in to one of several new target Pages, Assignments or Quizzes.

I am a little concerned about posting here because there is no way to give Kudos for a suggestion.  So I'm wondering if Instructure ever even reads this thread.

msubstel
Community Explorer

I am surprised that this problem exists. One of Canvas's strengths has always been simple, consistent navigation.

RossBrowning
Community Member

Yes!

dwparry
Community Member

The classic quizzes allowed students to use the next and previous buttons to get back where they were when they were finished taking a quiz.

Now with the new quiz, this is not the case anymore.

So, if you are using a linked template, without module mode, when a student takes a quiz, you get stranded. There is no previous or next buttons to go back or progress.

This is not good for younger students.

Please support.