New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
ahmadsidik
Community Member

I just ran my first exam with new quizzes. I can't believe that matching and ordering questions aren't scored for partial credit! Now we have to manually grade all of these. This is shockingly bad design.

ryoder
Community Explorer

Why is this still in the conversation stage after 3 years? This should have been a voting item long ago. It has been a significant deficit of this software all this time, as everyone has posted.

BROOKERAWLINS
Community Member

This should be a no brainer, this is stupid that it doesn't automatically grade with partial credit. 

The moment you start using these quizzes options, is the moment you are already let down. FIX IT CANVAS. 

OrlandoColon
Community Novice

Chiming in to echo my frustration on this one. I used matching questions in legacy quizzes last year and it worked as it should: it gave partial credit. Yesterday, I administered my first New Quiz with a matching questions and was bombarded with frustration from students who missed one match out of 20 but received a zero for their quiz. 

I should not have to go back and manually grade these. FIX THIS. What's the hold up???? This thread is 3 years old.

swatts1
Community Member

I agree. How is this still not a thing, 3 YEARS AFTER THE ORIGINAL POST. Do better, canvas, do better.

Lalicker
Community Member

3 years and still waiting for the solution. 

NIKIBLAYLOCK
Community Member

3 years later and we still don't have partial points in New Quizzes?  This is very frustrating and dissuades many teachers at my school from using this feature.  My students have a 4 part matching question each week on their Vocab tests and I have to manually adjust it each week! This seems like it should be a fairly easy fix and it's being ignored...for 3 years!

EricPaulsen
Community Member

As the field for LMS continues to develop, those platforms that don't adapt and improve, will be passed over. I'd hate to see that happen to Canvas. At the very least, publish a timeline of future releases to let your users know what you're working on and when they can expect certain features to be available again. Thank you!

Lpicsmith
Community Member

Imagine how much 'fun' I had when the first person to take the exam emailed me to say she had received no credit for the matching even though she had 9/10 correct.  I found out through Canvas support that the matching will only give full credit if ALL the matching answers were correct.  I only have 26 students in this class. If I had 300 students, this would be nightmarish.  I have to go into each graded exam and had calculate the matching to make sure students who missed some of the answers receive credit for the ones they got correct.

YES this definitely needs to be fixed. I honestly cannot understand why it wasn't created this way in the first place.  I have never even taken a matching test that had 'all or  nothing' credit.

SindiHolman
Community Member

I don't understand why they haven't fixed this yet. It works on the Classic Quiz. If they can get it to work there, they need to fix it on the New version.