New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
Fernsy
Community Participant

As our online learning coordinator I have been encouraging staff to move to new quizzes as in APAC we have until the end of 2022 until classic quizzes are no longer.

One of the biggest hurdles is the no partial credit for matching. I have staff that have move to new quizzes, move back to classic. They list issues as follows, having to go into every quiz and mark to give partial credit is time consuming and something they have never had to do with classic, students are put off as a mark of zero shows up in their marks, we have observer accounts for students and the quiz results cannot be seen by observers so a mark of zero leads many observers (parents or supervising teachers) to call to find out why marks are so poor.

These alone are causing increased workload for teachers and I can understand why they do not want to move to new quizzes. Can we please do something about this as partial credit is there for multiple answer question type, why not matching???????

lauren_richard1
Community Member

Yes! Canvas is behind LMS's such as Schoology in this regard!

bontomasin
Community Explorer

Yes please, on behalf of our entire district 6-12.

PeterHanink
Community Novice

We absolutely need the ability to choose full credit or partial credit. I understand not making the default partial credit, but it should at least be an option.

GrantRoberts25
Community Member

Is this just a forum for us to complain about the all-or-nothing feature in Canvas, or does anyone from Canvas offer any hope by giving a progress report on this issue? Maybe I am missing something, but all I see from this forum is a lot of people with the same issue.

SarahJarboe1
Community Novice

This is so basic, I can't believe it didn't carry over from classic quizzes. Partial credit is an absolute must.

kbathBCP
Community Explorer

How do I VOTE for this? Is commenting the same as voting? Thanks.

cejones
Community Explorer

Canvas just posted a short survey of users in which they ask if we "trust" Canvas.

I recommend saying "no" and complaining about this very issue:  Nothing done on a very basic issue since it was first brought up in Sept 2018.

I wonder if they are firing programmers to keep costs down so that Canvas can be sold to, say, Blackboard.  Why else leave us hanging?

khahn1
Community Participant

@kbathBCP I believe all you need to do is click the 5-star rating. 

@cejones I don't think I got that survey. Was it a link you can share?

NIKIBLAYLOCK
Community Member

@kbathBCP @SarahJarboe1 @GrantRoberts25 

This is the response I got when I reported this as a problem.  They aren't listening to us and 3+ years worth of complaints which is incredibly frustrating.

"

Thank you for reaching out to Canvas Support! We are sorry you are not satisfied with the way New Quizzes grades matching questions. 

We checked our guide and can see that the grading is intended to require all matching items are correct so that the question is counted as correct. Please see our guide here. 

Unfortunately, we would need to refer you to the Ideas conversation to add your support for the requested change as this is the recommended channel. 

A workaround for teachers that would like to use matching questions that grade with partial credit would be to use Classic quizzes as classic quiz matching questions are still graded with partial credit."

We don't want a workaround. We want the New Quizzes to have this functionality.