Notification emails should link directly to the post rather than the top of the thread

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

The notification links provided through notification emails should link to the actual post that the email is in reference to, rather than the entire discussion. If it could anchor to the actual post, the need to search through the long string of discussions would be avoided.

Moodle had this 4 years ago and from my understanding, it is a simple change to putting a permalink in the notification rather than a general link to the discussion.  This permalink exists because using the search function (or unread button) to filter posts will reveal the permalink by clicking on "view in discussion"

Comments from Instructure

January 2016 update

This idea has been completed.  Please find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-30)

13 Comments
peter_kupfer
Community Novice

As a student and as a teacher this is very frustrating and, for me at least, discourages participation in discussion forums.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Deactivated user​, that is a constant refrain I hear from our students and professors as well.

Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

I agree.  It is nice to click on a link and be taken directly to that section and not have to search for it.

Robbie

SethBattis
Community Contributor

And, in fact, the permalinks for the posts should be visible by default. (Right now I use my own, buggy, hack to expose them, which is silly.)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

77296_pastedImage_0.png84936_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I'm disappointed this didn't get enough traction.    And even Jive uses permalinks. Here's an example:   https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3949#comment-11612

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

January 2016 update

This idea has been completed.  Please find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-30)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @canvas_admin  for submitting this idea, as well as, Deactivated user,  @Robbie_Grant ,  @SethBattis  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Thank you, Instructure, for implementing this even though it didn't get 100 votes!   I was pleasantly surprised to see this in the production notes as I was not expecting this nice gift. Smiley Happy

canvas_admin
Community Champion

So with "New Discussions" this 4-5 year old feature that I originally requested has now been taken away.  Can you please make this functionality a part of New Discussions!?  Why would you take something away like this after taking the time to implement it? This makes no sense!