Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Yes, that is a good point about instructors needing this as well - anyone who has a role in courses really (advisors, librarians, mentors, observers, etc).

brian_gatten
Community Novice

It didn't occur to me that students would be posting on Canvas help forums.  I expect most of us in this feature request area are instructors, administrators, or designers of one sort or another.  

I personally manage 9 courses with a total of 2900 students.  I need instant notifications from one set of assignments in the smallest of those courses.  Turning on submission notifications for all of my courses would make those notifications unusable for me.   

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Brian,

As you probably know, roles in Canvas are specific to courses and not to users so it would be difficult (but not impossible) to have Canvas pass role information to the community platform.  Because of that, we don't have good data on how many active community members are students.  If I had to guess I would say its around ten percent.  

alewis3
Community Novice

As we are attempting to encourage parents to refer to Canvas as a primary tool for communication between home and school, parents are often frustrated with the inability to control notifications in meaningful ways for their students. This is especially concerning for families with multiple children in the district, knowing that each child might be enrolled in multiple courses. We would LOVE for notifications to be more adjustable based on preference. The calendar notifications, specifically, can cause an unnecessary influx of notifications and emails.

Teachers who share courses also receive an abundance of notifications. 

Thank you for considering this issue as we strive to do best for our students and families!

emiliejane_arms
Community Novice

As an administration/coordination team, we would LOVE there to be a feature that allows us to customise notifications for each course. I need detailed notifications for the course I coordinate, but I don't want notifications for another course (which I still need access to on the dashboard). Is there any update on when this feature will be added? It seems this thread was started quite some time ago....

Thanks!

nzr5205
Community Novice

Not sure what the progress is on this feature, but it would be great to have. Even at a more basic level, only send notifications for courses that aren't hidden. Right now I get every Canvas notification twice, once from the Student app and once from the Instructor app. I'd like to just get notifications from the Instructor app for the class I TA (and maybe turn some of those notifications off) and get notifications from the classes I'm taking from the Student app.

jevans6
Community Novice

I agree, this is a MUCH needed feature!  If nothing else, a simple "mute" button for a specific course would be great!

For instance, I want ALL notifications from the classes I teach.  But, when I'm a student of a course, or if I'm observing someone else's course, I don't need those notifications showing up.  Unfortunately, as it is currently, it makes me hesitant to collaborate with other teachers on their Canvas courses, because the notifications from their courses have caused me to miss a more urgent notification from my own course.

Otherwise, I think Canvas is fantastic!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar‌ idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

mariol
Community Novice

A simple "mute" would help wonders. Especially when the uni creates blanket org courses and posts a MASSIVE amount of events a day. It's too much notification SPAM that would then cause me to miss actual, important notifications.

melissa_calvill
Community Novice

YES! Please do this for students AND instructors!!!!!