Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
hillman_ke
Community Novice

I vote for notification for each individual course.

-Kym

jfountain
Community Participant

My gosh, this request has been open since 2015 with no action, and there are over 700 votes.  Another similar issue is also open with over 400 votes.  We are new to Canvas, and we had this option in Blackboard.  I don't like having to say "we could do that with blackboard but we can't with Canvas."  When will this be implemented??

sally_nathenson
Community Novice

I am one of those who has been asking for this change over the past several years.  I have just sent a message out to my colleagues about this to encourage them to also comment and vote for this change.  I encourage you all to invite your colleagues to log in and vote.   Thanks!

newcomern
Community Novice

I have different roles in different courses (primary instructor vs. observer, librarian, etc.) I need to get all the notifications for courses where I'm the primary instructor, but this turns them on for all courses which is overwhelming and may cause me to miss the notifications I need to see most.

edutechdiva
Community Novice

This is just WAY TOO LONG OVERDUE!!!

Not all institutions use Canvas the same way. Some don't even use it "right." And individuals get real lazy about maintaining their course census so PLEEEEEEEEAAASE implement this feature ASAP. The unwelcome alerts are driving me NUTS!!!

nkowalchuk
Community Novice

I would LOVE to be able to turn off notifications for courses I'm the lead faculty for (but not actually teaching). I get so many grading alerts for these other courses that I can barely see my own. I really wish I could at least turn off alerts for a particular course, even if more granular notification abilities aren't available.

rickh
Community Participant

I just want to be able to tell which notification came from which course I am supporting (I am not a teacher but the guy that is supposed to know everything during our pilot.)  I see where a student would get confused by the notifications not knowing which course the assignment is or content has been added to etc. since many of our students take four or five courses a semester here.

324209_Image-1.jpg

I tried a new idea but had it tossed into "cold storage" and told it was part of this discussion which is four years old. 

jfountain
Community Participant

Hi, Rick. If the student changes their Dashboard to “list view” it categorizes the to-do items by course. Not ideal, but it’s somewhat of a workaround for those who don’t like the traditional to-do list on the card view dashboard.

Julie D. Fountain

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY | EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGIST

STAFF SENATE | PRESIDENT

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

jfountain@kcumb.edu<mailto:jfountain@kcumb.edu>

p. 816-654-7704

lap266
Community Novice

This is 100% necessary! We had staff who are included on 30+ courses and only need notifications for 1 or 2 of them. It would make canvas so much more user friendly!

mui18003
Community Novice

Hi Julie,

Even with my Dashboard changed to "list view" the text notifications I receive do not tell me which class it belongs to. So, I may get just "URGENT" in the text, but then I have to log in to Canvas and try to figure out which class sent the Urgent notification.