Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
mrsday
Community Novice

PLEASEEEEEEE🙏🙏🙏

gibsonla
Community Member

Yes, please.

Daph_P
Community Novice

I would like to print a large quiz so that I can read through it before posting. At this time, there's not an option to do that.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

This would be extremely helpful especially for meeting accommodations issues for some students!

cmillat
Community Member
As your platform grows into elementary education, you will find the needs of little people are very different than secondary. Students need to show their work in math when taking math tests. It is easiest for elementary students to show their work on paper next to the problem they are working on. I need to be able to match their written work with the problem to see their error in order to reteach. After they complete their work on paper, they transfer their answers online.  

Elementary students have a hard time tracking when questions and their answers are broken and flow onto the next page. It just creates more errors and lots of questions- Teacher, I can't find the answers. Or they only respond to the two they see. 

In addition, we send home the paper tests for parents to review with their students. In my community, parents demand and expect this for ALL tests given. I have students with IEPs that need an easy to read paper version. I have students with vision issues that cannot be on their computer 100% of the day.

I would hope that Canvas doesn't apply the ideals of online learning to the point of not understanding customer/student needs.

And lastly, this is common practice for other websites our district uses. I am surprised that this is even up for debate with Canvas.
Travis991
Community Member

do it

mbirdsong
Community Member

I agree. We have students who experience computer issues, and we need to have the ability to print out assignments for them so they remain current with the lessons.

mcmack
Community Explorer

I agree as well.  We need the ability to print student quizzes to make student accommodations in an elementary setting and to give us the option to share a paper copy with parents if needed. This issue seems to have been requested for years now with it growing to 24 pages of requests.  How about now?

laurenhenderso1
Community Member

Allow a way to have a quiz that has been created to be turned into a PDF or printable version.  I like to do the questions on paper, and upload a photo of my work so if a student misses it they can see an automatic explanation.

gdulaney
Community Explorer

I think this sounds like a good idea. It would be very helpful.