Quizzes.Next: Options for quiz response settings

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It's possible this has been addressed in the new Quizzes.Next feature, but there aren't any guides I can find mentioning any expansion of the quiz response settings in the new quizzes feature and I haven't found these settings myself either. With the current version of quizzes, the settings in the image directly below the quiz should indicate it is locked down so students shouldn't be able to figure out what the correct answers are until May 17th at 12:00 am

276382_Quiz_Feedback.png

However, with the setting above students can see that they scored full points on a question and what their answer was. This is essentially the same thing as showing them that they chose the correct answer, since it shows them how many points the question is out of and what they scored [1] in addition to what answer they chose [2].

276381_Quiz_Feedback.png

The default should be if an instructor doesn't want students to see the correct answers until a certain time, students shouldn't be able to see what they scored on a question and see what answer option they provided on a question. I can see this sabotaging quizzes that have more than one attempt, since students will be able to go back into the first attempt and pull out which questions they received credit for.

Ultimately the concern here is it has forced instructors into a binary choice. Either they choose the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" option and provide more information than they are comfortable showing students OR they leave that option unchecked and leave their students out in the dark out of concern for the integrity of their questions. If Canvas quizzes can have a second feedback date layer offering more security to their questions, more instructors will be able to open up different layers of their quiz at different times to provide the best learning experience for their students.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the:

13 Comments
agnirm
Community Novice

I agree with you, Susan, and I'm at a loss as to why this has been so complicated to implement. Blackboard has had this functionality forever. 

I'm afraid the suggestion up for vote that you refer to, Stefanie, does not address what I believe many (if not most) of us need addressed. We simply need options of when to allow students to see which answers they got correct and incorrect. In my case, this would be after the quiz is due - in other words, the exact time the quiz is no longer available to take.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed