Restrict assignment submission attempts

Currently there is no way (that I am aware of) to limit the number of times a student may submit an assignment. This functionality is available for quizzes, but not for other assignment types. It would be very helpful for our instructors to be able to set the number of times a student may submit an assignment, whether for a revisions process or simply to limit the number of files they need to comb through in grading.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

78 Comments
james_trueman
Community Contributor

Hi Deactivated user‌, I appreciate that this is on product radar - I was just wondering if there was an update that could be offered?  It's something that clearly has interest (as do the billion other feature requests Smiley Happy) - and is something we'd be veeery interested in.

Cheers

cainl
Community Novice

This is desperately needed at the college level! Please Canvas, add this as a feature!!

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

We need this feature in our Canvas lives. I've been providing training for our instructors and this is almost always a loaded topic (especially for our online teachers). Many instructors see the ability for students to make unlimited re-submissions as a moving target as far as grading goes. The ability for teachers to set a limit on the number of submissions would appeal to all instructors because it gives them the room to accept drafts and revisions, as well as set limits on the amount of review and unnecessary duplication of work.

Pretty please, add this feature!

-Ben

roselle_basa
Community Participant

It makes sense that we can be provided with an option to restrict submission attempts of students.  Once may be the default setting and this can be adjusted to specif students as the need arises.  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

i_oliveira
Community Explorer

We had a couple of problems in our faculty where this setting would solve the problem.
On the first, a class where all students are sitting in the same classroom working on an assignment. After they're finished, they must submit their files at once and are asked to leave the classroom.

The students have 3 hours to do the assignment, but some finish after 30 minutes and leave the room. They could actually discuss their answer outside the room and re-submit the work and that's not desirable.

On the second case, students were given a due date to deliver an article. The teachers postponed the "until date" of the assignment so a couple of students could deliver their late assignments (due date was maintained).

Teachers downloaded all the assignment files for discussion.

Turns out that other students were still uploading after the due date, and when you download the assignments Canvas offers the last version without any indication of whether it's late or not (in the filename).

While there were other ways to have avoided this having a limit of uploads would be the easiest.

We are running Canvas officially here for the last couple of months, so I expect limiting submissions tries will be a desirable feature in the future.

j_c_turner
Community Contributor

This would also be useful in supporting anyone using the turnitin canvas plagiarism framework. This currently allows students to submit and view the report immediately as many times as the student wants. This could lead to gaming the system. Having this restriction would reduce the number of times a student could submit and view the report. #canvas turnitin

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

Hi  @j_c_turner ‌,

I second that. A workaround in the meantime is to adjust the TII settings so that students only see the results after the assignment was graded, after the due date, or not at all. 

benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

We switched from Bb to Canvas, so most of our instructors were used to setting a specific number of submissions on assignments.

During Canvas training sessions, I'll let instructors know that students can now submit assignments any number of times. Then I validate any frustration they may have.  I also offer this less than ideal yet mostly doable workaround:

1. Set an Available from, Due date, and Until Date.
  2. Let students know that they have until the Until date to make a submission.
  3. Tell the students that only the most recent submission will be graded.
  4. Only grade submissions after the Until date has passed.

I'm still anxious for this restrict number of submissions feature to be implemented. 

Best regards,

-Ben

j_c_turner
Community Contributor

True  @benjamin_rodrig ‌. You can also make staff and students aware that every submission/resubmission is recorded in the canvas assignment.

293124_Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 20.29.03.png

Meaning a staff member could look back to see if there has been accessive submissions. In a way, and notwithstanding staff workload, seeing this activity could help staff identify weaker, or more confused students. Perhaps the better solution would be to indicate to the student the number of attempts they have had, and indicate more clearly to the staff member, through the speedgrader, the number of attempts. In a perfect world, you could imagine that a tutor could track back through the changes with the student to explore the changes.

So, at the moment this situation is not ideal, but I could see that development might not need to be around the restriction but on the promotion of they way canvas stores attempts. #canvas turnitin

jim