SeeSaw and Canvas

(1)

Seesaw is a digital portfolio app that allows parents to see student work as it is posted. Students save and share their assignments with teachers, parents, and peers. They snap a photo or video, draw, or write--in addition to adding audio or annotations. I see SeeSaw as a great way to get elementary teachers (at least in my district) into Canvas. Many of them are using SeeSaw already, and I can see Canvas and SeeSaw working very well together! 

14 Comments
bdoran
Community Contributor

Hi  @mjoaquin ‌, I was doing some research for one of our APAC K12's and noticed this "Feature Idea" and was hoping you could add some clarity around what you are hoping to see from this F.I.?  

Are you hoping that Canvas would integrate and partner with Seesaw in some capacity? Are you wanting Canvas to develop feature sets similar to what SeeSaw offers for early learners? For Faculty? Parents?

I found a discussion around Seesaw in the K12 space, so there might be some opportunity to engage with that group, or promote this idea to that group if we can get more definition!  

Onward and Upward!

mjoaquin
Community Participant

Yes, I have seen the discussion. I would love to see either increased LTI integration of Seesaw and Canvas OR an increase in the features of SeeSaw that make it so user friendly or the K-2 set. My biggest Canvas hurdle with my K-2 teachers and students revolves around logging in to Canvas. Between not having individual accounts or the amount of time it takes them to log-in to said account, in contrast to Seesaw where they find they avatar/initials etc and can hop right on to complete their work. It is a long shot and others may not see the need or value, but I thought it was worth throwing the idea out there to see if others connected to it. 

Bobby2
Community Champion

HI  @mjoaquin  I understand the challenge. See saw is used a lot here also. Have you embedded a link into Canvas courses? https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20580-can-logging-in-be-simplified-for-younger-students  This might be helpful for logging in to Canvas too.  

mjoaquin
Community Participant

We haven't had any SeeSaw Canvas cross-over yet. Our K-5 usage is virtually 0% right now. I am looking for ways to authentically grow that usage. This may not be the best way, just an idea! 

Bobby2
Community Champion

Good to know. Thanks  @mjoaquin  What's your plan forward?

mjoaquin
Community Participant

At this point, we are going to look at creating Blueprint courses for our K-2, 3, 4-5 grade teachers to see if this helps while we wait to see what the future holds! 

ksrogers
Community Explorer

Hi Misty. We are basically where you were when you posted this back in 2017. Currently we're developing blueprint templates for elementary. How are things going with your elementary Canvas use?

chillman
Community Participant

If they could make Seesaw an LTI, I think Canvas would get a much bigger buy in from the elementary setting.  Seesaw is such an easy tool for our Preschool-4th grade students and the options for posting are much more elementary friendly than Canvas (including drawing tools, easy video and picture, annotating and the assignment submission is easier). This tool isn't just for elementary, but a great use of UDL for all students.

The new elementary settings that Canvas just released do not change the RCE or make Canvas easier to use for elementary students.  I wish they would either integrate Seesaw or use a similar interface for elementary students. 

rachel_groft
Community Explorer

Seesaw will work with the Redirect tool from the EduApp Center.  Just type in Redirect and it will pop up.  After you click to add the app, add the link to the Seesaw student login page (the step where they scan they QR code) and you're set.  Seesaw will show up as a course navigation option.  You can also embed a link to the Canvas login page directly within assignments.  

I have these two questions.  I have not figured out a way to take students directly to the SeeSaw activity that you want them to work on.  Can anyone help with that?  AND, can students stay logged in and not have to scan the QR code every time they click on an embedded Seesaw or the Seesaw link on the navigation menu?

A Seesaw LTI would be a GAME CHANGER for our K-2 teachers!  They would be ON BOARD with Canvas.  Hands down. 

MattHanes
Community Champion

Maybe we could work on it from the other end? I added a feature request on the SeeSaw Community. You can vote for ideas there too: LTI Integration – Seesaw Help Center 

351182_pastedImage_3.png

shebert2
Community Novice

I would like to see the ability to migrate evidence of student work from Seesaw into Canvas so our county can see they have done assignments and parents aren't having to upload in two places. 

moquendo123
Community Novice

Canvas should include Seesaw as an external app that can be used to embed seesaw activities within Canvas. Right now, Canvas is NOT designed for PreK-2 students and adding this feature would help tremendously.

dnelson1
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived