[Speedgrader] Rich Text Editor in Speedgrader Comments

Add the Rich Text Editor to the Comments section of Speedgrader.

"I want to recommend books, etc., or to properly format foreign words, and so on, and want to set the example, of course, of doing so properly.  Thank you"

"Instructors have told me they'd like formatting (bold, italic, colors) in the comment boxes in order to emphasize a statement without typing all caps (which seems like they're yelling at the students)."

"As an instructor in a virtual classroom I need to be able to make my communication with students richer to better get my points across.  Add rich text capabilities and allow me to make the Comment boxes larger while you are at it."

Transferred from the old Community

Originally Posted By: Joshua Shannon
Special thanks for contributions by: Teri Portman, Albert Turner

100 Comments
slynch
Community Member

Yes to hyperlinks in grading comments! Requiring students to copy-and-paste URLs creates an added hurdle.

mdevaney
Community Novice

The ability to use the Rich Content Editor and add html and hyperlinks would make a big difference to the types of feedback we could provide in the SpeedGrader. What a great way to personalize feedback and motivate students!

amixon
Community Member

This is an imperative feature in the sciences.  Do you know how awful it is to tell someone they need to subscript something when you can't even do it in the comments?

April

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Guys, I'm sorry to say that this feature isn't possible with our current architecture. We know there is a desire to have RCE in many places in Canvas and will always try to find ways to add it. Hopefully, in the future, we'll be able to accommodate this request!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Community members who voted/commented on this idea might find this idea valuable:

melissa_barnhar
Community Novice

Hey Christi Smiley Happy

It's been a while since your comment here and I was wondering if this functionality is now a possibility?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
ikalb
Community Novice

Please see ticket number 02012382

Quick version is:  In the Speed Grader, in a submission comment, if you type a line with leading spaces, those spaces are removed.  

I teach the Python programming language, and leading spaces are extremely meaningful.  For example, if I give a comment showing a few lines of code (where <b> represents a space):

if a == b:

<b><b><b><b>print 'They are the same'

When the student sees it, it looks like:

if a == b:

print 'They are the same'

This is NOT valid in Python and confuses students.

james_romano
Community Novice

Hi- this would be super helpful, but it would be even better if it included the ability to use formatted text in the annotation tools.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Here's a link to your feature idea about that (which I voted for!):