Streamline link posting with keyboard shortcuts New Rich Text Editor

0 Likes
(5)

I would like to be able to use keyboard shortcuts to post a new external link in the new rich text editor. Currently I can select text and use Ctrl+K to bring up the add link popup, but I need to click the field to paste in the link. 

Could the add link popup default be changed so that the cursor is in the "Text" box when no text is selected and in the "Link" box when text has been autofilled?  

Adding these default cursor positions would allow users to create external links without having to use the mouse.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ellen_caldwell
Community Explorer

When I click on command+K to quickly insert a hyperlink, the hyperlink box opens, but the cursor does not automatically go into the entry box, making the process more laborious than in Word, Google, etc.

One Canvas representative I chatted with said:

I had heard about the command+K option from a faculty at another school, and I'm not certain if that option no longer working the same is due to changes made to Google Chrome or to our Rich Content Editor, but you are more than welcome to create a feature request for that as well.

cynthia_londeor
Community Explorer

@ellen_caldwell 

I'm pretty sure that it changed when the rich text editor launched. I used to do keyboard link entry in the old text editor all the time while using chrome. 

ellen_caldwell
Community Explorer

@cynthia_londeor Yes, it did used to work! It's second nature to me, so I keep getting thrown off when the link doesn't paste into the box (without moving my cursor to the box manually). 

ahardesty
Community Participant

Yes! Please bring back Command-K . It made our jobs much easier. The new RCE is making my job a lot harder and is making a lot of things take longer. Way too many clicks! Inserting documents, linking to documents and course material, adding images...This was all much easier with the old RCE. 

ely
Community Explorer

Yes, please bring back this feature in the new RCE.

EmmanuelGentil
Community Novice

Yes It would be really nice to be able to use the ctrl+k command with the cursor defaulting in the url field. This is a standard feature on most rich text editors for web pages.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.