Studio Analytics

(10)

We need reports from Studio that lists which videos student watched and for how long. We need the total number of minutes each student views each video, even if it is multiple times.

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jackiehughes ‌, would you take a moment to detail what specific enhancements you'd like to see vis-a-vis what is detailed in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9683-50736529258 From my preliminary reading, it appears that some of what you've requested is already available.

jackiehughes
Community Novice

321446_Unknown.png

So, right now we are looking at Max Johnson's viewing history for one particular lecture.  I see that he skipped a little in the middle, but watched the majority of the video (horizontal axis).  Let's say that the next day, he watched the entire video, without skipping.  Would the vertical axis show that he had watched some portions of the video twice and some portions only once?  If the vertical axis could show that, I could work with that data.  

Hopefully that makes sense.  Please let me know if there is any more information you need from me. 🙂 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Potential voters should find this clarification very helpful. Thanks, Jackie! 

narodriguez
Community Member

Currently, if I want to see who watched a video, I have to scroll down and click on each one of my students, one by one.  This is especially time-consuming for someone like me who has moved to a strictly flipped classroom model and was even considering using more of the hybrid online approach.  I have a class of 85 students and we meet 14 times over the course of the semester. 

Ideally, I could see in a single page-view summary data for the class as a whole, and then below all the individual data for each of my students.  For example, the class on average watched 8 minutes out of a 10-minute video.  Then below, each student listed with how many minutes they watched.  If I want more granular data, then I could click on a particular student to see what portions they watched and what they skipped over (like I currently have to do).

bwoolley
Community Novice

I wholeheartedly agree with Natalie's suggestion. A single page, aggregate summary of the class as a whole would provide a valuable snapshot of the class's progress. The ability to view this data quickly, without the time-consuming burden of compiling individual information, would be particularly helpful for courses that intend to dynamically adapt to specific student needs. 

GGummess
Community Participant

I would even like to add that the ability to check and see if students are looking at their videos should extend retroactively to previous semesters.  I want to do comparison analysis to see if students viewing of videos makes a difference in course outcomes.  

jaynewell
Community Novice

Agreed!   I'm teaching a flipped course where viewing the course material online is essential. It looks like I can see, one at a time, which students have viewed the videos uploaded to Studio. I want to be able to download the data so I can analyze by student and by course the use of the video material.  This one-by-one approach is nearly useless at real-classroom scale.

amy_umberger
Community Novice

I wish there was a way to organize the Insights by Class or search for a specific student.  I have 65 students in a class and it is just really challenging right now to go through all the students.

sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

I've mentioned this in a discussion. 

Issues:

- Insights are not always accurate. I’ve been told if students view from a web browser on a mobile device and not the Canvas Student app it doesn’t always record the view time.

- Students are not listed in any logical order (alphabetical or by total viewing time) so it becomes cumbersome for using with large classes. 
- Quick link to Insights does not exist in a course if comments are turned off. 
- There’s no usable report to download. 
- All students are listed even if you just assigned it to a group to view.

czakotnik
Community Member

I am really struggling with this and considering looking at other programs to fit my needs, but it seems like it is something that could easily be done through the Canvas platform.

jackiehughes
Community Novice
Status changed to: Open

jamcgee
Community Explorer

We have had several faculty request similar functionality.   It would be much better than clicking on each student.

evaluator
Community Novice

Hi all - was just wondering if there was a way in downloading more detailed aggregated statistics for Canvas Studio videos? Essentially I want to know how well-viewed videos have been and at what time points in the semester students have watched videos (e.g., preparing for an assessment etc.).

Thanks for all your help! 😃

catherine_uvaro
Community Member

I agree that a more "Class-Level Dashboard" would be greatly beneficial. My campus introduced Studio a few weeks into this semester so I've only experimented with it for some videos. But even with this limited experience, I find the "insights" less than insightful. I have my videos on YouTube and I'd like to bring them over to Studio so that I can tell which students actually watch them, but right now that'd require an insane amount of clicking! Each lecture is broken into several shorter videos so clicking on each actively enrolled student and trying to deduce trends in viewing activity from the "insights" tab is a pain. I want to be able to quickly see a whole class dashboard so that I can contact actively enrolled students that are not watching the videos. 

I'd like to be able to tell which students are watching the videos, which videos are the most watched in the past week (or whatever specified timeframe), etc. I should be able to look at a particular student and see an overview of their activity on ALL videos. I should be able to click on a particular video and see an overview of ALL students for that video. I should be able to sort/filter students - and message them in bulk (like "Message Students Who...")

sharinahmad
Community Explorer

It's 2021!

I am still looking forward to having that single view where we can get that aggregated summary of views quickly. Filter by date, user, hours spent.... that will be helpful.

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know, that we are soon starting to change the appearance of media insights for a more convenient view on student engagement. One of the primary cause is the time-consuming clicking through each and every student, but we want to introduce some additional metrics too that will be quite useful based on our research (yay, there is so many comments in this thread, that we possibly had a call with some of you recently in regards to this particular topic!). 

Take care,

Akos

nicole_fleetwoo
Community Participant

What about reports on the back-end for us admins?  We have no way of pulling any valuable information.  Take a look at the reports that Panopto offers, even Canvas.  Why can't Studio provide us with the level of reporting?  I'm having a hard time justifying the price of Studio to the budget committee when I have no data to back-up my claims. All it gives me are some worthless charts, the top 10 users, top 10 storage users, & a .csv that's useless.  Please show the admins supporting your product locally some love and provide us with reports we can run for our college as a whole.  

ElizabethMarsh
Community Member

Adding in my request for a more holistic function of data reports around video...

Currently, you can see which teachers upload video and how much video is uploaded, but there is no window into usage. Right now, we can answer "how much is available" but we can't get a window into usage at all without going into each individual video.

My current process: The course I'm crunching data on right now has 61 videos. So if I want to get a bird's eye view of how the videos are landing, supporting learning, I have to click into the class, into the video, into insights and then manually calculate using the image below. Best guesstimate: 3 users watched until the 5:20 mark? 2 until the end of the video? I end up calculating as 5:20+7:40+7:40= 20:20 total watched minutes... And then I do that SIXTY more times. There's gotta be a better way for data analysis here. If there's a better way available now, please share and help me save myself over an hour's work here!

Screenshot 2022-02-25 071147.png

For me, accuracy of, ease of, and a holistic view of data are key!

Would love to be able to pull the "top watched" videos across an org or a teacher or a class. With one clean/clear number, easy to access.

Would love to be able to see the total of minutes a video has been watched from the studio side, at the top (not having to jump into the video). Even number of users who clicked on the video from the the top would be awesome.

Would love a "total minutes of video watched", with capabilities to view that at the org, teacher  or class level.

100% ok with the post above recommending that they be CSV-style files. 

@JackieMeyers 

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived