[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
carsai
Community Member

@p_bier We at KTH have found that the feature actually exists in Canvas API (https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/submissions.html#method.submissions.create passing the parameter submissions[user_id]) and are building an LTI app to do exactly that: import scanned exams to Canvas to allow teachers to mark them using SpeedGrader.

If you want, you can look at our solution here (it is open source). Probably you have different setup in Canvas than us and different scanning system, etc. but it is actually possible to do it!

yunecs
Community Novice

I guess this is not high on the list but would be super convenient to be able to do this as an instructor, especially for struggling students. I'd rather get the assignment via email than have to go back and forth with trying to get them to upload.

p_bier
Community Novice

@carsai thanks for the tip.  One of our local developers through together a script for me that allows us to bulk upload submissions on behalf of students.  Seems to work well.  It was designed with the bulk use case in mind and the ability to specify exactly what files map to what students.

tryggvimar
Community Explorer

I would like to support this idea, there can be so many reasons why a teacher would need to upload a document on behalf of a student. 

may027
Community Participant

This idea was first submitted in 2015? It is 2021.

Make this happen please. It is needed and opening up the assignment for one or more students is cumbsersome.

angela_dean
Community Explorer

How is this idea 5 years old? This absolutely needs to be implemented. 

RobinCameron
Community Novice

Please implement this. It is such a clear use case! First submitted in 2015. If user feedback means anything this would be a good way to act on it. 

CarolShields1
Community Member

I teach EAP (English for Academic Purposes) to second language learners. Students are just learning vocab like "upload", and they have diverse tech backgrounds, so many struggle with having an LMS along with a new educational system. They put their files in the comments, for example, instead of uploading to the assignment, or they email stuff to me because that's what the last teacher did. Gradually, we get everyone on board, but this would save me time vs. re-opening the assignment, emailing students, etc. There is a time for that, but there is a time when I just need to get the assignment into the Speed Grader and near the rubric. Add to that an increasing number of students with accommodations who do not submit in the prescribed way for legit reasons, and you have two excellent reasons for implementing this change. Of course, there must be a mechanism to identify the prof as the "uploader".

blackb
Community Member

I want to record a vote in favor of this. Please do it.

Leobarolo
Community Novice

Please implement this!