[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
khahn1
Community Participant

This has been open for six years! Why is this not progressed? This is rather important for multiple reasons. Not ok, Canvas!

NormanNovotney
Community Member

What exactly happened with this feature?  Has it been reviewed? If not, why hasn't it?

FrancesKozen
Community Novice

Yes, please!  It would be a great service to allow instructors to upload assignments submitted outside of Canvas for whatever reason so that they can be graded using assignment rubrics with comments available to students.  This would be especially helpful for group assignments.

JocelynRichard
Community Member

Please do this! It would be very helpful for grading assignments from students who are struggling, without having to go back and forth to ask them to upload to Canvas (especially in cases where that would also require updating the assignment). 

SteveHobson
Community Member

YESS!!!! Please make this feature happen!

JulieSheldon
Community Explorer

I want to echo the many comments here about how important this feature would be. My students sometimes email me if the system is down, or if I do projects that I want to take a photo of and put into Canvas to grade there with a rubric. Please!! 

JanetKerby
Community Member

I have students who have have power outages, internet outages, or other technology problems.  I would love to be able to submit on their behalf.

poppy98
Community Member

I, too, would love to have this feature.

JenniferKolar
Community Explorer

Did this ever get entered as a formal feature request?

I just hit the case of wanting to start students midway through a course they had done work in a previous version on where there are requirements of "submitting an assignment" before moving forward. I had manually entered grades, but that doesn't match the rule. My only option was to change the rule to "viewed" for now so i could use Next to move them forward.

I intentionally want to let them move forward upon submission vs grade so they are unblocked. Inability to submit for the student is ironically blocking.

trolson
Community Participant

@JenniferKolar NO this never got entered as a formal feature request.

HOW CAN WE MAKE A FORMAL FEATURE REQUEST?

As far as I can tell, these "conversations" are completely ignored by the Instructure teams.  After six years, I'm wondering if a comment full of expletives might be required to get the attention of someone in charge.