Tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be useful to have the ability to tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups in a course.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

52 Comments
jbuchner
Community Contributor

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 12.08.39 PM.png

I'd think any announcement you make, even those made to groups, would to the students here, the user dashboard, though if I'm wrong I'd love to have someone let me know.

blain_c
Community Novice

We would like to be able to create a global announcement, but then only have it available to sections that have only college credit students in it. Right now if I select students, every student would see it and I only want certain students to see it. Is there a way to do this?

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

This is a request that Deactivated user​ and I have heard frequently over the last couple of months. We will raise the issue during our next capacity planning session, so I am going to mark the idea as Archived.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you Payton!

Everyone, bookmark and follow this feature idea to receive updates as they are available!

johnpj
Community Contributor

The  " style="color: #2989c5; that is now open for voting may serve some of these similar needs in that you could use the group site's Announcement tool to send tailored messages.

patricia_guijar
Community Novice

I find one huge difference between sections and groups.

In Groups, students can interact as "teachers", meaning they can post announcements, upload content...

That's the reason we don't use groups to create different announcements or release contents depending on the section of the student.

It would be a great improvement to the way we use Canvas.

amilne
Community Novice

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus.  It would be really helpful if teachers from one class weren't sending materials to students in other classes (same course, different section).  I assumed sections in Canvas would be analogous to sections in a school and in every school I've attended, teachers from other sections do not come in to our class and hand out their material.  And conversely, our teacher did not go to other classes to hand out materials and make announcements.  It appears that Canvas is behaving as if sections were really groups.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Is there a status on this Idea? Has it been permanently Archived?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Susan. 

This is not permanently archived.  This idea has been assessed and scoped by the product team, and they do not have the capacity at this time.  It remains in their queue when they go through prioritization activities.

How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​ helps define archive!

johnpj
Community Contributor

It's great to see that this is still being considered. We get a lot of questions about this from faculty. Using the inbox is an OK workaround, but it lengthens the workflow from just working within the context of a site.