[Gradebook] What if grading for instructors

Currently instructors cannot create hypothetical scores for students like What-If scores. This would be very helpful as we get close to the end of the quarter to see if a student has the ability to reach a particular grade or not.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

73 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea!  Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016! Smiley Wink

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Yes!   Otherwise, I have to go in and masquerade as the student!

kschneider25
Community Champion

This feature is so important when advising a student (we do not give masquerade abilities to our faculty)! Otherwise a student has to log into Canvas so that this feature can be used. 

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

This is a GREAT idea! 

awarmar
Community Participant

Thanks for sharing--This would be very helpful! ...though I might miss calculating it by hand Smiley Wink

e01166
Community Novice

This is a great idea. Students (and sometimes parents and counselors) often call to ask what a student needs to do to get a passing grade, or to earn an A or a B. It would be nice to be able to use the what-if grading feature on the teacher side. Actually, it would be helpful for me to be able to access it on the administrative side as well.

eabshire
Community Novice

Or, here's a thought, we can have the student figure it out with basic math.  They would find out what they need to pass along with sharpening their math skills.  Just a thought.

swright
Community Novice

To accomplish this, I just type the grade in to see who things changed and then erase it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Ah,  @swright , but if you do that on the grade for an unmuted assignment, aren't you sending out a grade change notification--and then another one? Personally, I wouldn't see that as a viable workaround.