How do I create a recurring event in a calendar as an instructor?
When creating a calendar event, if you want to create the same event multiple times for a course, you can create a recurring (or repeating) event. Recurring events creates multiple copies of the event every day, week, month, or year. For example, you may create a recurring course event for student study groups every week. You will not grade students on whether or not they have participated in the study group, but you are providing a resource activity on a specific day to help them organize their time and prepare for your course more efficiently.
You can also create duplicate calendar events for course sections.
Tips for recurring events:
- Weekly events are repeated on the day of the week of the first event. For example, if an event is created on a Monday and repeats weekly, the next instance of the event will appear on the following Monday, regardless of the actual date.
- Monthly events are repeated on the day of the month of the first event. For example, if an event is created on July 6 and repeats monthly, the next instance of the event will appear on August 6.
Note: Events that include a conferencing link in the description or location field display a Join button on students' List View Dashboard.
In Global Navigation, click the Calendar link.
Make sure the checkbox of the course in which you're making an event is selected .
Click any date on the calendar to add an event . Or, click the arrows next to the month name to navigate to a different month  and select a date.
If you don't want to manually locate the date, you can click the Add icon .
Add Event Details
Enter a title for the event .
Depending on how you added your event, the date may be populated for you. If not, enter a date in the date field .
The calendar times may also be populated for you in the From fields . Edit or enter the start and end time for your event. To create an all-day event, leave the From fields blank so there is no start and end time for your event.
In the Frequency drop-down menu, you can set recurring calendar events .
You can enter a location .
In the Calendar drop-down menu , select the course calendar .
Add Event Frequency
In the Frequency drop-down menu , you can select from multiple recurring options, including no repeat, daily, weekly, monthly, annually, every weekday, or a custom frequency.
Notes: Each frequency selection has an occurrence default:
- daily = 365 (days in a year)
- weekly = 52 (weeks in a year)
- monthly = 12 (months in a year)
- annually = 5 (The event will occur for five years)
- every weekday = 52 * 5 (weeks in a year * weekdays)
- Additionally, users can have a maximum of 400 occurrences.
Add Event Custom Frequency
To create a custom recurring event, select how often the event repeats , which day(s) it repeats on , and when it ends . Click the Done button .
To add additional details to your event, click the More Options button . You can use the Rich Content Editor to add a description or resource links and add an address location.
If you only want to create the event as a placeholder and add details later, click the Submit button . You can edit your event at any time.