How do I create hyperlinks to course, group, and user files in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
You can use the Rich Content Editor to insert hyperlinks to document, image, and media files stored in your course, group, or user files. If you are using the Rich Content Editor in a course, you can access files in the Course Files and User Files folders. If you are using the Rich Content Editor in a group, you can access files in the Group Files and User Files folders.
- If you set a file as not visible to students in Course Files and link to that file in the Rich Content Editor, students will be able to view that file using the link in the Rich Content Editor.
- To create hyperlinks to group files, you must open the Rich Content Editor within a group.
Open Rich Content Editor
Open the Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or Option+F8 (Mac keyboard).
View Add Sidebar
By default, the Add sidebar displays course links. To view all available course, group, or user files, click the Add drop-down menu  and select the Files option .
To view course files, click the Course Files link .
To view your user files, click the My Files link .
If using the Rich Content Editor within a group, you can select a group file by clicking the Group Files link .
To sort the displayed files by image, document, or media file type, click the All drop-down menu  and select the file type to sort files .
To sort the displayed files by date added or alphabetically, click the Date Added drop-down menu .
To search for a file, enter the file name in the Search field . You must enter at least three characters for search results to display.
Click the name of the file you want to link in the Rich Content Editor.
Note: The text will flash before turning into the hyperlink.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.
View the content. To view the linked file, click the link .
To download the file, click the Download icon .
Note: Links to external URLs display an Open icon .